Sound proofing question

Nitrous N20

Jun 3, 2003
Dallas Tx.
Has anyone here done much with Dynamat? How much does it take to do anything reasonable in a 79-93 LX coupe? What kind is most cost effective? Does the stuff really work all that well. I would like to try to keep out some of the reoad/engine/wind noise. Obviously I dont need it to sound like a new Mercedes but its like a damn freight train now.

• Sponsors (?)

what i did to sound dampin my floor board was went to home depot or somwhere and got some "peel and seal".....works good but dont use it on doors or roofs, when its hot it tends to come unglued.

Some of that peel and seal stuff, or other roofing material is cost effective, but if you ask me it kinda smells like tar and well...a roof. I have gotten into friends cars that use that stuff on a hot summer day, and it just reeks. I have used dynamat extreme on my last three cars and it works like a charm. Its easy to install and blocks out a lot of noise. On my stang I used it on the floors, under the rear seat, the door panels, and the entire trunk. I used over 40 square feet, hell it may have even been closer to 50 sq ft....It was expensive, but if you can find the bulk packs online for cheap then thats the best bet. If I had to do it again, I would do the exact same thing.

All depends on how extream you want to go. Most of your noise will be coming thru the firewall and front floorboard. If you totally remove the dash, rip out the junk deadner. put 3 layers in its place and on the front floor extending to the rear of the front seats that will take out most of your engine noise. lining the doors on the outter skin will help also. They also sell a foam pad for under the hood. you can cut it out and laso put in on your firewall. It has a radient heat barier on it also. To keep the road noise down keep putting 3 layers all the way bac and on the walls. And if you want to get real extream line the celing and have under the car undercoated in a sound dampning metrial.

To do the whole interior in 3 layers you will be looking about 180SF