Spec Stage 2 CLutch Problem

JT87NAT

May 16, 2005
Hello, just had a quick question about the Spec Stage 2 clutch. My friend wants to purchase an 88 GT, but when we took the car for a test drive the clutch slipped in second. The seller said that he thought maybe he had adjusted the clutch wrong. Could adjustment of the clutch pedal cause the clutch to not engage fully? I have no previous experience with Mustangs mechanically so I don't know if this is or isn't the problem. To me it seems like if it is slipping then it is probably some issue with the flywheel, pressure plate, or clutch disk not just adjustment. Any way the rear main oil seal could leak and cause this, or a seal in the transmission that is allowing gear oil to get into the bellhousing? BTW, I own an 87 Supra and on Supraforums we have been having a big discussion on whether or not Spec uses an upgraded pressure plate for their kits for our cars, does anyone have significant proof that they are using upgraded pressure plates for the kits you guys buy? Thanks alot.

• Sponsors (?)

it is possible. Does it have an adjustable cable or a self adjuster? I personally would think the clutch is goin out, but if he has an adjustable cable set up, then have him (the owner) try to adjust it.......the clutch fork should have just a little bit of play in it. meaning you should be able to move the clutch for like an 1/8" to be close to proper adjustment.......if it is a self adjusting, then clutch............later man, hotwheels of insanemustangs

What mods are done to the car...the Spec Stage II can take some pretty good power...probably 400rwhp...but if the power is around there or that clutch has been on that car for a long time it probably is actually slipping...

If it is a basically stock car then it probably is adjusted right...but I'm afraid the seller might be trying to tell you a "cheap solution" so you will most likely buy it than rather saying the clutch is out...

The spec stage II does have an upgraded pressure plate...

5spd GT said:
What mods are done to the car...the Spec Stage II can take some pretty good power...probably 400rwhp...but if the power is around there or that clutch has been on that car for a long time it probably is actually slipping...

If it is a basically stock car then it probably is adjusted right...but I'm afraid the seller might be trying to tell you a "cheap solution" so you will most likely buy it than rather saying the clutch is out...

The spec stage II does have an upgraded pressure plate...

The clutch has only been in for about 1200 miles as far as I know, the kid knocked 1,000 off what he was asking and my friend purchased it for 4,500. The body has 95k on it, the engine has 10k after a rebuild, and the Tremec tranny has around 1200 on it. I will be pulling the tranny after work tonight so I will know more then. Thinking maybe it could be the rear main seal leaking oil onto the clutch, but there is no sign of leakage, so maybe it is the clutch and pp. The flywheel is new.

List of Mods:
3.5" Fiberglass cowl induction hood
BBK Cold air induction kit
Mass air conversion kit with proper computer
C&L Mass Airflow Meter
Trick Flow Street Heat upper and lower manifold
1" plenum spacer
24lbs fuel injectors(meter calibrated)
Aluminum Edlebrock Performer 5.0 Cylinder Heads
Ford SVO Roller rocker arms
Hardened pushrods
SVO Hydraulic lifters
BBK 1.5" lowering springs
KYB gas-ajust- shocks
Urethane sway bar end link kit
Spec Stage 2 Clutch and Pressure Plate
New flywheel
Flowmaster 1 5/8" primary equal length shorty headers
BBK 2.5" H pipe
Flowmaster 3 chamber muflers and cat back system
190lph BBK fuel pump
4.11 rear end
New gas tank
Hurst short throw shifter
Tremec world class transmission
BBK fuel pressure regulator(not installed)
Crane Cams 1.7 ratio roller rocker arms(not installed)
Auto Meter Tach
Paint 95 Ford Probe enamel with pearl and metallic

With those mods the Spec Stage 2 (you sure it isn't a stage 1 because it might slip under that power even he didn't break it in properly)...won't slip...

The rear main seal is behind the flywheel so I don't think the leak from there (if there is one) is going to get on your clutch (on the other side of the flywheel)...now if he didn't put any thread sealer or something similar on the flywheel bolts the oil could seep thru but not likely...

5spd GT said:
With those mods the Spec Stage 2 (you sure it isn't a stage 1 because it might slip under that power even he didn't break it in properly)...won't slip...

The rear main seal is behind the flywheel so I don't think the leak from there (if there is one) is going to get on your clutch (on the other side of the flywheel)...now if he didn't put any thread sealer or something similar on the flywheel bolts the oil could seep thru but not likely...

Who knows, I will have to look at the paper work that my friend got with the car, the reciept for the clutch is in a big stack somewhere. I am almost positive this kid got the stage 2 though, he seemed very knowledgeable and honest about what was going on with the car.

If the rear main seal is leaking into the bell is can and will make it to the disc/flywheel surface which could cause it to slip. Oil has a way of finding it's way anywhere, I've seen rear pan leaks get into the bell...

I would say it in most likely just out of adjustment. SPEC does use a upgraded PP on the units for our cars, atleast I can confirm for the Stage 2 and 3 units.

Yeah Rick91GT, I have had experience with the oil getting to it (or from what I seen it appeared to have happened) but I just don't see how it does??? It is behind the flywheel "grabbing" area. The only thing I can think of is the oil getting "spit" (under higher rpm conditions) onto the backside of the flywheel and under the fast rotations of the flywheel sling it on the inside of the bellhousing and then it "fall down" onto the clutch assembly????

Well, if oil did get onto it, it's ruined.

I can almost gaurantee you it's not the adjustment. The ONLY way it would ever slip in second is if the cable is tightened so damn much that it's constantly disengaging (riding the clutch) by a good amount. This would be a very difficult thing to achieve with that little wheel on the firewall adjuster, or he'd have to crank hard on the cable adjustment.

Step on the clutch. If it's rock hard, and has no mush at top it's adjusted wrong. More than likely though, that clutch is gonna come out.

I'm not for sure if oil got on the clutch if it would be ruined. I'm not sure it could absorb into the material itself of the disc and definatly not the flywheel. As long as it wasn't exposed to oil for a long time...you might be fine with "wipe and go":shrug:

5spd GT said:
I'm not for sure if oil got on the clutch if it would be ruined. I'm not sure it could absorb into the material itself of the disc and definatly not the flywheel. As long as it wasn't exposed to oil for a long time...you might be fine with "wipe and go":shrug:

actually, good that you bring this up. I'm going to send you pics within the next couple of weeks. I've got a brand new (500 mile) spec clutch that was pulled because of a front seal leak in my bro's mustang. Tremec replaced, and he just replaced the clutch too. SOME oil got on the disc and I haven't had a clue what's bad or not in that respect, cause it wasn't a lot. Don't know if it absorbs and disappears, or will stay forever and ruin it? I plan on running this clutch (financial reasons) next month when my new engine goes in(explorer gt40p engine)