Spec Stage 2 Clutch

racer5.0stang

Dec 15, 2003
NC
I had a stage 2 spec clutch installed in my 95 GT along w/ a billet flywheel, adj. clutch cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster. Now my release bearing squeals unless the clutch pedal is pushed down. Also when I leave out in 1st gear (just regular driving) the whole car shakes. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Spec clutches.
Also my girlfriend who has a 98 SS put one in her car and we had to purchase a special master and slave cylinder for her car and she has trouble getting into 3rd gear.

Are Spec clutches any good? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

racer5.0stang said:
I had a stage 2 spec clutch installed in my 95 GT along w/ a billet flywheel, adj. clutch cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster. Now my release bearing squeals unless the clutch pedal is pushed down. Also when I leave out in 1st gear (just regular driving) the whole car shakes. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Spec clutches.
Also my girlfriend who has a 98 SS put one in her car and we had to purchase a special master and slave cylinder for her car and she has trouble getting into 3rd gear.

Are Spec clutches any good? :shrug:

they're supposed to be good clutches.. maybe it was the installer?? I know through personal experience some people can put a clutch on better than others.. (don't really know what there is that can be screwed up tho?)

I had the same experience, except mine is a Stage 1. I have almost 2k miles on mine and it is like hell to push. I am installing the 3rd TOB this weekend on it. I see about half the people that install Spec have problems. I won't ever buy them again.

Paul

the chatter is normal during break in and should go away eventually. as far as the squealing tob, it most likely wasnt greased properly when it was put in. that will cause the tob to go bad in a hurry. speaking of spec quality, joe has a stage 3 and aside from a very heavy pedal, that clutch is kickass. grabs and holds beautifully at 10psi. if the bearing was greased properly, you may want to try adjusting your clutch cable a bit to see if that makes it better.

I have a SPEC stage 3 ceramic clutch and it works like a charm. It sounds like the TOB wasnt greased before putting it on the input shaft. Chatter is normal during break in, like stated above, it will go away.

As for the Fbody, whenever you do a clutch on an LS1 , you have to replace the slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder. Thats just normal maintenance.

mine has been squealing for near 10000 miles now. im not going to replace it until i have to.....you cant say for sure how long it will last like that though. with the steel bearing retainer that our t5's come with, it COULD last a while, but it is definitely not a problem to ignore.

Hey thanks for all the info. Yeah on the SS we learned that we had to purchase a kit containing a master and slave cylinder. Spec did not tell us that when we ordered the clutch though. You think they would. But my TOB still squeals but not nearly as bad as it used to, maybe it will quit after a while.

Thanks. :hail2:

My Dad and I put a King Cobra clutch in my car, and within 500 miles the TOB was squeeling. We put the TOB that came with the clutch and replaced the front bearing retainer and the pilot bearing. Everything was greased properly. My Dad made a comment saying "watch this TOB is going to squeal like you won't believe." Surely, he was right. He yanked the trans, got a Ford TOB from the Ford parts department and it hasn't done it in about 400 miles. He said aftermarket clutches are notorious for having noisy TOB's and there are almost no problems with Ford TOB's.

The shuddering on take off in the flywheel. Been there done that too. I got the car for a good price because the car would shake and shimmy when taking off. My old man knew exactly what was wrong - the flywheel wasn't put in correctly after the clutch job (He's a Ford mechanic).

Joe

Joes95GT said:
My Dad and I put a King Cobra clutch in my car, and within 500 miles the TOB was squeeling. We put the TOB that came with the clutch and replaced the front bearing retainer and the pilot bearing. Everything was greased properly. My Dad made a comment saying "watch this TOB is going to squeal like you won't believe." Surely, he was right. He yanked the trans, got a Ford TOB from the Ford parts department and it hasn't done it in about 400 miles. He said aftermarket clutches are notorious for having noisy TOB's and there are almost no problems with Ford TOB's.

The shuddering on take off in the flywheel. Been there done that too. I got the car for a good price because the car would shake and shimmy when taking off. My old man knew exactly what was wrong - the flywheel wasn't put in correctly after the clutch job (He's a Ford mechanic).

Joe

well thank your old man for me, I'm going to buy a ford TOB and not even bother with the spec one.. Thanks !!

I have a SPEC stage 1. TOB didn't start squeeling until a couple months ago, but thats after 20k miles. The squeal is driving me nits though :bang: . I have a Ford TOB in my basement somewhere (thought the SPEC wouldn't come with one, it did though), but its been down there for about a year and half, it'll still be good to use right? Also, are those things hard to swap out?

DaveB said:
I have a SPEC stage 1. TOB didn't start squeeling until a couple months ago, but thats after 20k miles. The squeal is driving me nits though :bang: . I have a Ford TOB in my basement somewhere (thought the SPEC wouldn't come with one, it did though), but its been down there for about a year and half, it'll still be good to use right? Also, are those things hard to swap out?
Nope. Pull the H-pipe out. Disconnect the driveshaft. Unbolt the trans and ease her out. Then you've got access to the TOB - 20 minutes in and 20 out. Real easy stuff.

Joe

SPEC has recently gone to a Timken fiber bearing that should eliminate all squeeling. I believe they did this about two months ago but not sure how long before their inventory of pre-packaged units with the old bearing ran out. I would suggest calling SPEC and informing them of your challenge and I am sure they will help you out (they have always been very helpful with us).

Joes95GT said:

Joe
I just ordered a ford tob and a frpp aluminum d/s, im going to install them on sunday, weather permitting. How do u properly grease the TOB bearing? should it come pre greased from the factory?

rudeone707 said:
I just ordered a ford tob and a frpp aluminum d/s, im going to install them on sunday, weather permitting. How do u properly grease the TOB bearing? should it come pre greased from the factory?
I just caked it all in the inside of the TOB and on the front bearing retainer. Keep in mind that this may not be the be-all end-all of a squealing TOB. Ford addressed the issue and attempted to fix it, and I've been sucessful. I drive my car two times and month and the trips are about 5 miles. It has been 450 miles (almost to the T, 443 to be exact) and I haven't had any problems yet.

Joe

i have 25,000 miles on my Spec Stage II and i have never had a single problem with it when it's cold it dosn't grip as well but after a 1min of drive and some good shift it grips hard a holds, i know guys with 420rwhp on a stage 2 with no problems.

i have had my spec stage 2 for a yr and a half no with no problems i never got any chatter, no squeeling, my old clutch did, and it hold my 413 rwhp and 546rwtq fine on slicks but like stated above the pedle is no where near close to stock which was on of the good selling points but i have gotten used to it though.