Squealing AC compressor

OL' WHITEY

Jan 28, 2004
Weddington, NC
Is there a way to lubricate this thing? It works fine, but I guess the bearings are just old and it squeals a little when the engine's cold. Once things warm up a little, it quietens down. I'm afraid to just shoot WD40 or somthing like that in there because I'm afraid it will only trap dirt and cause the bearings to go bad quicker. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Belt's fine. About a month old. I didn't check the tolerances on the compressor, but the noise changes as the compressor clutch kicks on and off. It works just fine though. It may be on it's last leg. I wonder if squirting a little graphite under the clutch pulley would help/hurt it? Any other ideas?

Mine started doing that then it went to s sort of grinding sound. Mine went bad right after that. In the process of buying a replacement now. Mine seemed to be misting my engine compartment with fine metal shavings. So I guess my bearing grinded down to nothing.

Is it a simple swap of these things when you buy a new one, or take one off another car?

OL' WHITEY said:
Belt's fine. About a month old. I didn't check the tolerances on the compressor, but the noise changes as the compressor clutch kicks on and off. It works just fine though. It may be on it's last leg. I wonder if squirting a little graphite under the clutch pulley would help/hurt it? Any other ideas?

Sounds like your A/C Compressor clutch has worn out (sometimes called a compressor coil). Either the clutch material gets worn down or the magnet gets weak (or both). You might try a local parts store, or maybe a salvage yard for a replacement. Applying any kind of lube will only make it worse. In fact, if your seal has ruptured it could be part of the problem (look for oil streaks in line with the pulleys and belts).