Stang is broken again, bad valve keepers/springs AGAIN

Slow5.0

Feb 13, 2003
Portland, OR
Damn it, today i drove my Stang little bit and for no reason idle start up and down, i didn't drive like maniac in last a few months so why the f*** this happening again, last April i have same problem on stock E7 heads
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=457808 ,now I have same thing on TFS TW heads, I know my car is little too big for stock TW valve springs (.554 lift on my B-31 ,compare to stock TW .540)
I just order from Summit Racing Track Heat Spring Upgrade Kit for Twisted Wedge Heads part # TFS-2500200 so i hope so this will be solved once again ,
Anyway I had this upgrade in plan next year ,so it will be little bit sooner than i want

• Sponsors (?)

Wait...your idle is fluctuating "up and down" and you are equating this to bad springs or keepers? On what basis do you make this assumption?

A lot of things can cause a hunting or surging idle.

Well I didn't write right,idle don't goes that mush up/down, it hesetate when i give gas in neutral or when i drive, it misse fire , backfiring both O2s read lean condition, believe me I KNOW what is this, last time took me more that 2 weeks after changing every sensor on Stang to find out whats wrong ,I wish i'm wrong BUT i know i'm not

Slow5.0 said:
Well I didn't write right,idle don't goes that mush up/down, it hesetate when i give gas in neutral or when i drive, it misse fire , backfiring both O2s read lean condition, believe me I KNOW what is this, last time took me more that 2 weeks after changing every sensor on Stang to find out whats wrong ,I wish i'm wrong BUT i know i'm not

Thats sucks....sounds like a been there done that thing....Least you know where to look first :D
Driving this time of year with a cam you can almost expect surging...the warms ok, but they loathe the cold...

I was lookin into some TF heads too....sounds like you need to get a spring upgrade from the get-go???

RIO5.0 said:
Thats sucks....sounds like a been there done that thing....Least you know where to look first :D
Driving this time of year with a cam you can almost expect surging...the warms ok, but they loathe the cold...

I was lookin into some TF heads too....sounds like you need to get a spring upgrade from the get-go???

Right, springs on stock TW are sux
My cam kill them and overreving too

you might want to get some comp or crane springs, and do some measurements, like spring heights/installed heights, coil bind, seat pressure, max lift pressure.
so you can make sure you have the right spring.

I have a comp XE 274 cam, I forgot heights but I had about 130# of seat pressure, and about 300 at max lift (.555) maybe you ran into bind? that would explain the busted locks, if the spring stops because it has no more space and the rocker keeps pushing the valve down...

Here is what i find on trick flow website, BTW i going to upgrade with Track Heat springs

Valve Springs:
1.470" o.d. single spring with damper
Standard
Twisted Wedge 110 lbs. @ 1.800" installed height
305 lbs. @ 1.260" open
360 lbs. per inch rate
.540" maximum valve lift

Valve Springs:
Standard 1.460" o.d. double spring with damper
Twisted Wedge 125 lbs. @ 1.780" installed height
376 lbs. @ 1.180" open
420 lbs. per inch rate
.600" maximum valve lift

So height dosen't metter right?

5.0 HOtrain said:
Rio, looking for more power :nice: Any other plans for that sweet ride over the winter.
Mike.

Ya I'm always looking to upgrade...thats the sickness of it all.....Wifey's been hammering me for a new kitchen so this year may be tough....i built my garage, then did the car up....so I think she'll win out this year...gotta try to keep things even... :D

Hows things with yours??? Thing screws as it is... :nice:
I wanna head over and have the boys burn me a chip this year....

RIO5.0 said:
Hows things with yours??? Thing screws as it is... :nice:
I wanna head over and have the boys burn me a chip this year....

Things are good with mine, cant complain with a 126.66mph shakedown pass. Maybe next year I wont be scared and shift at 6800-7000rpms like I should have :rlaugh: My only plans are a cage, hood, and aeromotive fuel pump controller. I was contemplating yanking the heads and sending them to TEA for a "small" workover, but I only put about 2,000 miles on it. Gonna wait another year for that.

LOL, I have a video of that run with you're niece on my pc :p

Slow down!! we used to say" KISS" Keep it simple stupid !! If the problem was the same with the other heads.. HMMMMmm...

The springs that are on there 125 @ 1.780 are what you need for that cam!! the 110 will not work correct an might end up with a valve bounce off the seat!!

Breaking the keepers might be from stacking the valve on to the top of the piston!! ( :( ) Look into P/V clearance when you pull the heads for the dead number 4 ! Installed height IS important and does " metter" !! there is a distance that the valve retainer and the spring seat will need to filled with a spring... the early 289s for example was 1.670 inches.. the springs for those were installed at the 1.670 height!! the newer heads are installed at 1.800 and the spring need to be that tall and with the correct "intalled" presure and "open " pressure !! Just throwing in springs will mess something up!! Cool??

Just me...................

Thumper

thumper460 i post wrong about broken keepers on TW heads, what i broke was intake valve spring not keeper, so problem wasn't V/P clearance

And BTW i fix that long time ago by upgrading Track heat double springs with damper