Starter Bike

I'm 48 and started riding when I was about 10. Started racing within a couple years, and owned, built and raced all sorts of bikes. I had literally dozens of bikes before getting my first 750 and to be honest, I think that's what I owed my many years of relatively safe riding to. I've taken and given many motorcycle safety courses and I would agree they are well worth taking.
IMO, anyone who suggests that a 500cc bike is a waste or under-powered is NOT someone to take guidance from on this topic. Under-powered?! Unless I'm nuts, even an old Ninja 500 will smoke 99% of the cars on the road today, so how do YOU define "under-powered"?
I'd suggest starting with an older chain-driven multi-purpose street bike (I like to suggest something like a Honda Nighthawk). Take your pick, there's literally TONS of them out there for sale, and they're cheap. The reasons I suggest this bike are:
1. They have the most balanced comfortable riding position.
2. They're generally good handlers.
3. They're usually better on fuel and insurance.
4. They usually have a broad power band.
5. There's no expensive body panels to scratch when you dump it.
6. They're usually real cheap and therefore damn near disposable. Great for a first bike

I definitely suggest a smaller displacement because the bikes are generally lighter and easier to maneuver (especially in tight areas like parking lots etc.), and they don't have enough power to get you in over your head TOO quickly. But don't get me wrong, ANY bike can get a new rider in over their head quickly. As was said earlier here, the bigger the bike and more powerful the engine, the faster things happen. So a new rider has no business being on a big, powerful bike.
What a new rider needs is a machine that fits them physically, and as low power as possible. You need to concentrate on building riding skills. And I don't mean canyon carving skills. I mean the ones that will keep you alive out on the road. You need to be the ultimate defensive driver on the road. Assume nobody sees you. Assume the road surface isn't perfectly smooth and dry around that next curve. Assume you have no right-of-way out on the road. Learn to anticipate all the other drivers on the road around you.
If you're more worried about going out to race anything on the road, or rub the tips off your foot pegs on curves, or maybe just concerned about looking cool out there, chances are, you may not survive to really enjoy riding for very long.
Whatever you do, remember to be safe out there. I've seen and known far too many young guys make very immature decisions out there and pay dearly for them. Be patient and ride to live. Oh, and WEAR YOUR HELMET!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Id say go with a Yamaha R6...I looked at one for a starter bike...Raven Black just like the picture up a few threads.

I wouldnt go with anything less than 500cc...but here is one benefit of getting a 600cc. You wont have to be switching bikes out in a few months. Each bike has a different suspension and riding position, and once you get attuned with it...its good to stick with it. And, if you get a 500cc...all your buddies will be leaving you behind as they'll most likely have 600's.

I see alot of talk on here of the Yamaha R6 as a starter bike. I would suggest a FZ6 for a "starter" for the Yamaha 600 class. It is a more comfortable riding position and WILL be cheaper to buy and insure than the "crotch rocket" R6. I was looking at the FZ6 until I stumbled upon the Bandits. Not to mention, if you get a "naked" sport bike(not full fairing), most also have a center stand which is really nice for not only keeping the bike more stable while parked, but really easy for general maintenance. My bike is chain driven so it requires a good deal of chain maintenance. Every 500 miles or wet weather riding I check the tension, clean and lube the chain. All in all that only takes about 20 minutes at the most. With shaft driven bikes the required maintenance for that is much longer. The first question you have to answer yourself is what style of bike do you prefer. Sport or cruiser. Then go from there. I myself chose the sport touring, because I can't stand the cruiser type and I love to just go out enjoy the fresh air and cruise, be it 10 miles or 300 miles, so I bought something that would be comfortable for that. I did find out however, that my bike is to small for 2 up riding for my 6' tall g/f:( Guess she will have to get her own bike so we can go out cruising together.

"...And, if you get a 500cc...all your buddies will be leaving you behind as they'll most likely have 600's."

Selecting a bike based on what your freinds have is ridiculous. I'd seriously question the maturity level of anyone who'd suggest such a thing. Trying to keep up with experienced riders, especially on sport bikes, is an accident waitling to happen.
This is just another reason why I don't suggest a sport bike for your first bike. Sport riding is NOT for beginners. Stick to a more "standard" type of bike.
Believe me, most kids on sport bikes have no clue how to ride them anyway. Years ago, I used to have fun dusting sport bikes off on the back roads with my Yamaha RD 350 and later on the 400. Those were totally standard layout bikes but they would out handle anything on the road at the time. In the hands of a good rider, you can still give much more powerful bikes a whoopin' on the twisties. And don't even get me started on the RZ's!

Here's a good starter (mini bike).
View attachment 394444
Just kidding.

Speaking from experience, a good starter bike is something that you won't get bored on in a month. A 750 is a good start and is good down the road.

Here's what I have, Honda Shadow Spirit 750.
View attachment 394446

I prefer a cruiser style. Most sport bike owners I know have either laid them down or sold them. I enjoy riding, but not the risks that you take when you have a sport bike. It's just too easy to act wild on the sport bikes, it's tempting when you ride those. At least it is when I ride them.

here are some specs

Note the huge 1/4 mile time differences between the Ninja500, and the 600 bikes mentioned above - 12.8 for the 500, 10.8 for the R6, and the CBR600F4i. There is a very good reason why the poor performers are sold within the first year. It is a fact of life. Slow bikes are boring! 12.8 is horrendous for a sport bike, and is likely to put its rider to sleep. Please don't compare these numbers to car numbers. Compare them to the numbers of the other riders in the group with whom you might spend your Sunday afternoons. Nothing is more embarrassing than being the slow bike in the pack.

Not really looking to run with any pack on the weekends. Or race anybody. Just looking for something fun to ride to/from school (bike parking spots FTW!), and around BR occassionally. Will definately buy used and cheap.

I only know one person with a bike, and I don't plan to compete with him in any way. He's a much more experienced rider.

Basically just looking for a sport bike to ride around on and learn to ride. So if you guys are still replying to me, don't worry about the "you don't want to be the slowest bike around" part. And I'm a pretty responsible person, and will be 10x more responsible without metal doors n **** surrounding me, so don't worry about the "you can get in over your head quick" part either.

Also, not really interested in a cruiser-type bike.

Its gotta have some kind of body panels on it, cuz once I learn to not drop it, (i'm sure it'll be scratched up by then, and need a paint job) I wanna get it painted purple and gold :nice:.

So is the Ninja 500 a good choice?

And I'm looking into those riding classes now.

"...And, if you get a 500cc...all your buddies will be leaving you behind as they'll most likely have 600's."

Selecting a bike based on what your freinds have is ridiculous. I'd seriously question the maturity level of anyone who'd suggest such a thing. Trying to keep up with experienced riders, especially on sport bikes, is an accident waitling to happen.
This is just another reason why I don't suggest a sport bike for your first bike. Sport riding is NOT for beginners. Stick to a more "standard" type of bike.
Believe me, most kids on sport bikes have no clue how to ride them anyway. Years ago, I used to have fun dusting sport bikes off on the back roads with my Yamaha RD 350 and later on the 400. Those were totally standard layout bikes but they would out handle anything on the road at the time. In the hands of a good rider, you can still give much more powerful bikes a whoopin' on the twisties. And don't even get me started on the RZ's!

all depends on your friends....mine would never challenge me to do more than i am capable of. And the only reason I would have a bike is to ride with buddies.

perfect example would be trying to cruise around on the highway in a 14 second GT when your buddy has a 10 second Cobra....you'll get bored really quickly with always being behind.

definately read through katshot's posts a couple of times. I agree with everything he has said. Ninja 500s, suzuki gs500s, and buell blasts (which are also 500s) are all good starter bikes. You will learn the techniques used for riding on a 500 much more quickly than on a 600 because you wont have to worry as much about the heavier weight of the bike, riding position, etc. They may not be the quickest, but you shouldn't want to be the fastest guy out there at this point.

Not really looking to run with any pack on the weekends. Or race anybody. Just looking for something fun to ride to/from school (bike parking spots FTW!), and around BR occassionally. Will definately buy used and cheap.

I only know one person with a bike, and I don't plan to compete with him in any way. He's a much more experienced rider.

Basically just looking for a sport bike to ride around on and learn to ride. So if you guys are still replying to me, don't worry about the "you don't want to be the slowest bike around" part. And I'm a pretty responsible person, and will be 10x more responsible without metal doors n **** surrounding me, so don't worry about the "you can get in over your head quick" part either.

Also, not really interested in a cruiser-type bike.

Its gotta have some kind of body panels on it, cuz once I learn to not drop it, (i'm sure it'll be scratched up by then, and need a paint job) I wanna get it painted purple and gold :nice:.

So is the Ninja 500 a good choice?

And I'm looking into those riding classes now.

Yes, the Ninja 500 is a great first bike as long as it's physically okay for you. Not knowing how big you are, I can't say for sure. It should be fine for an "average" size guy though.
Don't listen to anybody who tries to tell you that you need a bigger, faster bike just because your freinds might have bigger, faster ones. Dumbest reason I ever heard for purchasing a particular bike.
All the years I had bikes, I usually rode alone but when I DID ride with freinds, I was sometimes the fastest bike and sometimes not but we ALWAYS had fun riding even though we had a wide variety of bikes in the group. The only time you all might want evenly matched bikes is when you intend on flying and carving curves but THAT kind of riding is probably a little ways off for you right now.
I've riden bikes of all sizes from 125cc scooters to liter+ sport bikes and I can absolutely tell you that more power doesn't mean more fun on the road. If all you're out there for is to try to prove something, you're missing what riding's all about.

Never riden one myself. I understand they are great handling bikes though. They're really not my cup of tea. I'm not big on thumpers, and the overall look of the bike isn't pleasing to me. I like the Japanese inline 4's myself. Also never liked Harley's either.

First is register for the Motorcycle Saftey Class. They told me in the class

"90% of people who are involved in motorcycle accidents either learned from their friends how to ride, or are self taught and didnt take the class."

Cough up the $150 or whatever and take the class. It is way worth it. Kinda fun too. Figure 8's with 10 other new riders, rear wheel skids, etc

Second, buy a Yamaha YZF600R. Not the same as an R-6. The YZF600R is the bike that the R-6 replaced. It is thougt to many to be the best starter sport bike on the market. So good in fact they havent changed it since 1998 I believe. It is a little heavier and slower than an R-6, plenty of power, you wont out grow it and they look great. Check that bike out.