Steeda TRi-Ax and Cooler

Morpheusgpr

Founding Member
Jan 28, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
I am thinking of going with the Steeda TRi-Ax shifter to help me shift better and smoother. Maybe get rid of some of that notchyness the tranny has, worse when its cold and not warmed up yet.

I was curious if I should have anything else done at the same time...maybe get a fluid and filter change done? If so what should be put in...some synthetic of some kind? Its got about 24k miles on it right now.

I was also curious to know if a tranny cooler from Steeda would be of any help to the longevity of the tranny?

Any thoughts of ideas of who has the best prices on these things please let me know.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Morpheusgpr said:
I am thinking of going with the Steeda TRi-Ax shifter to help me shift better and smoother. Maybe get rid of some of that notchyness the tranny has, worse when its cold and not warmed up yet.

I was curious if I should have anything else done at the same time...maybe get a fluid and filter change done? If so what should be put in...some synthetic of some kind? Its got about 24k miles on it right now.

I was also curious to know if a tranny cooler from Steeda would be of any help to the longevity of the tranny?

Any thoughts of ideas of who has the best prices on these things please let me know.

Thanks.

Yes, the shifter is a good idea. While doing that you could change out the trans fluid to a synthetic fluid if you'd like (it might help a little, don't expect it to cure any internal tranny problems though).

edited - Sorry, I thought you were looking for input on a rear differential cooling device (the only people who would seriously consider adding a rear diff cooler would be those who road-race their 'stangs because the rear end fluid has the potential to "cook" during sustained operation).

Were you asking about this transmission cooler from Steeda?
http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/transmissioncooler.htm

*I thought this kit was only for automatic transmissions? Modification necessary? :shrug: Again, not sure if it would really be worth your time to incorporate this into your vehicle unless you were to road-race on a regular basis(this time, to prevent the fluid in the trans from "cooking"). However, I have read that installing one can extend the life of your automatic trans...

My .02
:cheers:

The Tri-Ax is a good investment. It won't get rid of your hard shifting problems, but it does give you a much better feel for what the transmission is doing, and you'll never miss the 2-3 shift. It is slightly noisier than the stock shifter. You'll get more gear whine. Also, it transmits more heat.

I had a pro 50 shifter in my gt.....and i just bought one for my 03 cobra .Its a awsome short throw shifter you might wanna think about it before you buy the steeda....not that the steeda isnt good its just the pro 50 is pretty solid with out as mush vibration....from what ive read and heard from o/p..either one though you cant go wrong :nice:

Go with the Steeda... I had one on my 99 Cobra, and I've put one in my 03 Cobra - I love it. It is the most enjoyable improvement you can make per dollar...

My friend put the pro 5.0 shifter in his 96 Cobra, and then returned it. He believes it became short throw only because they shortened the handle... I don't know if that asessment is accurate, but that seems like a poor way to achive shorter throws. Shouldn't that be better accomplished by the internal geometry of the shifter itself? :scratch:

In any case, the Steeda is nice. I enjoy the (slight) sound of the gears meshing... That's part of the look, feel and smell of a great americal muscle car!

The only thing I'd be worried about with the steeda is its not steel were the shaft and shifter stops make contact..I had bought one "new"on ebay and just from some rough shipping I think..there were little chunks of aluminium in the grease that lubes the internals and a chunk of aluminium out of the shaft were it makes contact with the stops :shrug: I havnt heard of anyone breaking one ,but it definately got my attention..thats when i turned to the pro 50, the pro 50 is steel were it needs to be and had a very short throw that would get you threw the gears pretty fast and with that shifter and some bolt ons got me a 13.4 in the 1/4 mile at 102 im my 03 gt " with a full tank of gas"....lol.... i used to have but sold it to get my 03 cobra... I do have a friend that had a steeda in his and loved it ....all though he did say my pro 50 had a shorter throw than his steeda...so anyway theres my 2 cents :flag: