Steeda Tri Ax -vs- Pro 5.0

killermach1

Jul 19, 2004
which in your opinion is the best shifter for the s197? I have used the Steeda on my 03 Mach 1 and loved it. I just want to know your opinions especially those of you with experience using both.

• Sponsors (?)

Steeda a Pro50 are basically identical shifters. That's for sure. I recently removed my Steeda and installed the new MGW shifter. This thing blows them all away by far. Believe me....it's the truth. It comes with a fully adjustable throw length, adjustable height, hitting third gears requires just a push forward and I mean you don't have to think, just push it forward. It's made of all top shelf materials and even comes with top and bottom dust boots, dynamat, and 2 layers of additional sound deadening materials.

GO TO> mgwltd.com

I have had a steeda shifter on my last 2 rides. Can't argue with the quality of the shifter. Solid piece. I can't speak for the MGW, i've never owned one.

I'm very happy with my purchase. It took ALL the slop out of the shifter.

Don't make the mistake of buying anything other than the MGW. I did and I'm just trying to tell you what's the best shifter available. There really is no comparison. That's not to say that the Steeda/Pro50 design isn't a decent design because it is decent. It's just that they DID NOT address the remote mount issues like MGW did. The remote mount on the MGW has a clamped torsion beam which allows the shifter to handle the twist of the drivetrain while also being mounted to the top of the tunnel's sheet metal. Hitting 3rd gear is effortless at high rpm's unlike the Steeda. I should know, I had one. The fully adjustable throw length and knob positioning is great too.

My 3rd gear is effortless with my Steeda Tri-Ax. No issues at any RPM. Just like with all my previous cars. They have all had Tri-Ax shifters. :nice:

Try running 11 lbs boost, an aftermarket heavy duty clutch and shifting that Steeda at 6400 rpm's. Ain't no speed shifting happening at all even with Prothane motor mounts. Hitting 3rd while running boost is also a chore.

Try running 11 lbs boost, an aftermarket heavy duty clutch and shifting that Steeda at 6400 rpm's. Ain't no speed shifting happening at all even with Prothane motor mounts. Hitting 3rd while running boost is also a chore.

I have, in my buddy's GT500 with stock motor mounts making close to 550 to the wheels. No problems whatsover with his Triax. He has a stock clutch though. Maybe its your clutch.

And my old 93 LX with a TR3550 behind a 408 stroker was perfect too. :nice:

It's not the clutch. You did say GT500 right? Different transmission all together. Your old 3550 was a top loader and triax shifters are great on top loaders. Do your homework on shifters and you'll see the MGW is in a class of it's own. My son's '05 is bone stock, he had my triax in it and switched to the MGW.....night and day difference for him too. The fact that MGW has the torsion set up on the remote mounted beam is the main reason they shift better. The fact that it comes with sound deadening materials, it's fully adjustable, has a lower and upper dust boot to keep debris out just adds icing to the cake. Everyone I know that's switched over from the other brands on their '05-up stangs are glad they did it. Go over to the mustang source or modular fords and see the extensive conversation and tech reviews on this thing, not to mention I've had the triax in my car. It was so noisy Steeda had to develop a new lower bracket so the user could ditch the brass bushings the shifter came with and adapt the original OEM nylon bushings which is the only way they sell them now.

This car with it's POS remote mounted shifter required much more thought in a shifter design than any of the aftermarket companies had come up with. George at MGW who's main business is machining precision parts for the US government for military applications has a passion for Mustangs and Vipers. This guy is a problem solver and a genious at what he does. Anybody that wants to argue about shifter comparisons should actually do the comparison for themselves before putting bad information out there on the forums. No hard feelings......but there's really no comparison, and that's a fact.

No hard feelings......but there's really no comparison, and that's a fact.

No hard feelings, but your opinion is just that, opinion, not facts. Its a preference.

Go over to the mustang source or modular fords and see the extensive conversation and tech reviews

I have seen the threads on other boards. Changing of springs, use the stock bushings, wait for MGW's new bushings, nothing like having your customers do your R&D for you in the field after you release the product. I guess his customers dont mind being guinea pigs. As long as their happy though I guess that's all that matters.

The fact that it comes with sound deadening materials

Throw Dynamat at any shifter or anything else and you'll isolate noise. Not much engineering there. I could do that with a Tri-Ax, or any other shifter. Maybe I should have put up my own business doing that, I would have been considered an innovator.

The GT500 is a different transmission, but the same shifter design, with the same flaws. So the comparison is applicable. And the car made plenty of power and it shifter perfectly.

You dont want people putting out bad information, yet you put some out of your own. I guess that's what you need to do to defend your purchasing decision. Its too bad Steeda cant come out here and post real facts. This board doesn't allow vendors to actually say anything. I remember a thread on underdrive pulleys where Steeda tried responding and the board gestapo deleted it. What a shame.

We can argue about this all day. You like your shifter, I like mine. I've driven MGW's and sure its not bad, but not my preference, and as long as there are choices out there, which is what this thread is all about then people will argue about what their preference is.

MGW

I got one of the first 100 shifters, and yes, we all knew it was a "beta" model and we were helping with the fine tuning. I haven't read a post yet where anybody complained, after all, we got the shifter at a substantial discount. When a couple of problems were identified, nobody had to ask for new parts- they were sent to us at no charge.

Just ask any MGW S197 shifter owner (including several that changed from Steeda and Pro 5.0) and they'll tell you this is one hell of a shifter, arguably the best on the market. The fantastic customer service is included at no extra cost.

If you are sold on your Steeda, great, it's your car and your money. I just know I wouldn't part with my MGW.
Guinea Pig :nice:

Well put Goldenpony. I'm the guy who switched from the Steeda to the MGW, so I should know. The internals on the GT500's 6 speed are far different than the GT's 5 speed not to mention the GT500 has much more stout motor mounts. Tremec 6 speeds just plain shift nice as hell compared to the 3650. That's right, what I've said is my opinion.....an informed opinion from an experienced tech that knows what he's looking at. You would really have to try that Triax out under 490 rwhp. I'll just bite my tongue here and avoid an argument that I know is not worth having.