steering rack

I am wanting to change my manual steering rack to a power rack, however all the units I see on the internet have the bolts that go thru a rubber bushing. Mine has rubber bushings that wrap around the steel tube and have a "U" shaped clamp that bolts it to the sub-frame. Is there any hope for me? Am I stuck with manual steering?
Thanks for any help or info that is provided

• Sponsors (?)

I am wanting to change my manual steering rack to a power rack, however all the units I see on the internet have the bolts that go thru a rubber bushing. Mine has rubber bushings that wrap around the steel tube and have a "U" shaped clamp that bolts it to the sub-frame. Is there any hope for me? Am I stuck with manual steering?
Thanks for any help or info that is provided
Could you take a picture of the rack in your car?

Per request, see below. Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• steering rack.jpg
    steering rack.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 100
supposedly it's out of a 74 mustang, it is grafted into the front of my 36 gmc truck I am building. I'll go and get the numbers that are stamped on the crossmember later today.
I've never seen a Mustang II rack that looked like that. It resembles the rack from a Capri (1969-1977 era) more than anything else I've seen. (The upper one in the picture is for a RHD model, the lower one is for the the LHD model).

attachment.jpg

Mustang II racks are all held in by two or three bolts through the crossmember (my factory power rack had three, my replacement manual rack had two).

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
That looks like it's gonna be a hell of a scavenger hunt. The only thing I can come up with, which probably won't be of much help, is this chart that i found through a Google search. http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT 22-0005.pdf

But as stated, it doesn't look like any II r&p that I've seen. And the date code on your cross member, if that is indeed the date code, predates Mustang IIs. Pintos were made at that time though, but I'm not too familiar with a Pinto r&p mount to know enough to say that's what it is. I'd imagine they're the same mounting style as the II since the II is based on the Pinto.... :shrug:

Yea I think you are right about the scavenger hunt. I was told it was II by the guy that put it in, but that was 30 years ago or so. I talked with the guys at the parts store I use and they said to bring the rack in when I have a couple hours to kill and we can look thru some of the old catalogs and see if we can't identify what it is.
Luckely I am in no big hurry as it's not on the road yet.
But thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 users
I finally pulled the rack out of the truck and here are the #'s that I found 2m1b SMCF, 34 000 0/9. It has 9/16" 26 spline shaft with a index slot. Maybe this will help I. D. this critter. Thanks for all the replies and help offered I know we will solve this mystery.

Reactions: 1 user