Stock oil pressure guage???

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
On the 93 notch I just bought the oil pressure seems to run low... like the tic below half way and sometimes slightly lower.

Could it be the sending unit for the guage? Every other 5.0 I've had it runs right below the High point at start up and never drops below half way. The car has had Synthetic oil put in it and it has 62,000 original miles. I'm going to put an aftermarket guage on it but until then could anyone make me feel better?

Thanks,

Strype

• Sponsors (?)

Hey buddy...stock gauges are just jokes, I would not put any stock into the reading your seeing. Like you said, get a good autometer gauge and sending unit on there, and I'm willing to bet you'll have nothing to worry about. Halfway on the stock gauge is "as new" a tick or two under wouldn't even get my attention on a warm engine.

Strype: My stock gauge would read about the middle of the range on cold start and then fall to the last white mark before the red.

Put in my autometers and I have:

60PSI cold
50PSI warm cruise
35PSI warm idle

The stock gague is worthless

on that subject, any way to keep the guage in the stock cluster, but change the gauage itself. i like the clean stock look? i have similar issues with my stock gauge. sry for a mild postjacking hoodstrype, just got me thinking.

J_Squared said:
on that subject, any way to keep the guage in the stock cluster, but change the gauage itself. i like the clean stock look? i have similar issues with my stock gauge. sry for a mild postjacking hoodstrype, just got me thinking.

Hey I gotta degree in post hijacking- have at :flag:

srothfuss said:
Strype: My stock gauge would read about the middle of the range on cold start and then fall to the last white mark before the red.

Put in my autometers and I have:

60PSI cold
50PSI warm cruise
35PSI warm idle

The stock gague is worthless

how hard was it to install the oil pressure gauge?
Im planning on ordering the electric one here soon.

I did a write up on my gauge install. It only took a few hours to do everything...

Click Me - DUW though

Running the sender wire and attaching the new unit takes less than 20 minutes if you already have the car jacked up. It's right behind the powersteering pump, so you will need a box wrench and go from the bottom to loosen the old sender. Then unscrew, swap out and run your new wire...

HoodStrype said:
Sweet... that's what I figured (I'm from alabama so I figure on stuff a lot :))

Brother, I know what you mean!! I figure on many things.....right before I'm fixing to do something :)

I am having a similar problem but a little different. When I start up the pressure is fine but if I have to sit at idle for a long time the gauge drops as low as 1/4 from the bottom. When I begin to move it raises up above the half and will stay until I have to sit for a long period of time. I'm guessing its the gauge (well, I'm hoping anyway)....but is there any way to test the pressure?

You can buy a cheap mechanical gauge and put that in the pressure port so it will read PSI while you are under the hood. That would give you an idea of the pressures your car is seeing when the gauge moves around and wont require any mounting of a gauge inside the cockpit.

srothfuss said:
You can buy a cheap mechanical gauge and put that in the pressure port so it will read PSI while you are under the hood. That would give you an idea of the pressures your car is seeing when the gauge moves around and wont require any mounting of a gauge inside the cockpit.

Pressure point?