stud roller rocker adjustment

gtcoupeaust

Oct 12, 2004
Ok. Installing the roller rockers and have marked exact 1/4s on the balancer.
found tdc on #1.
Adjusted to zero lash on #6 and then half a turn.
After waiting 5 mins I come back and the rocker arms are slightly loose??
I understand the half a turn is for lifter preload.

Are they only loose now as the lifter is depressed and the vacuum is holding the plunger in a lowered state?
Or does it need readjusting.
AS i have completed them all and they are all similar, When the valve is not depressed..

• Sponsors (?)

So you found TDC on #1 and adjusted #6? That's not right. Find TDC for the compression stroke of #1 and then adjust both rockers for #1. Then go a quarter turn, and do both on #3 (and just follow around the firing order). Even with a half turn, they'll still feel loose as you go back around a second time to check them.
If you do end up with any chatter once the motor is running, I'd suggest adjusting them while it's running. While running, all you have to do is loosen each nut until it starts to make noise, and then tighten it back down until it stops chattering and lock it in place. Good luck.

Ive never done stud rockers the way you are listing. I have always used this method.
http://www.flowtechinduction.com/technical.htm
Not to say that the way you did it is wrong, just never used it before.

Also, when you start the car, the lifters will pump up and take up the slack if they are properly adjusted.

That is what I used, never had a problem and easy to use!

Just adjust them on the base circle (no lift).

Ok. Installing the roller rockers and have marked exact 1/4s on the balancer.
found tdc on #1.
Adjusted to zero lash on #6 and then half a turn.
After waiting 5 mins I come back and the rocker arms are slightly loose??
I understand the half a turn is for lifter preload.

Are they only loose now as the lifter is depressed and the vacuum is holding the plunger in a lowered state?
Or does it need readjusting.
AS i have completed them all and they are all similar, When the valve is not depressed..

I think you are totally mistaking one thing for another. When you read that you need a 1/2 turn after you've reached zero lash, are you mistaking that to mean you need a half turn on your harmonic balancer?? They mean a half turn on the adjusting nut on the rocker, you don't need to reference your balancer when adjusting rocker arms.....