Progress Thread Tannerc91gt’s Build(s) Thread

What they are referring to are the serial port connections. Typically it's a db9 connection, you then use an rs232 converter to usb...

Most likely the port configuration on your laptop are incompatible. Or to slow to run the connection with feedback.

You will need to access the port options in the control panel.
the port you have the ECU connected to needs to have (all setable)
-Baud rate 11500 minimum.
-set the port to port1 (not necessary but helps)....

Try the serial port connection.
I've done the port configurations, checked the Baud Rate etc etc. I updated the drivers per their instructions as well.
No change.

From what I can see, the serial cable they sent with the kit is useless without a "gender bender" as they're both male connections. So I've got to buy an adapter to use it. That may very well solve my connectivity issues though.
I find it odd that the USB connection used to work so well and that their solution is to just not use it.

• Sponsors (?)

The folks over at diyat seem like they expected the system to run off of forum support...like Steve. That's why I think all the info is fully disclosed. They seem to be overpowered by questions pertaining to the use of MS. The system seems good to me right now....in a couple weeks I may want to smash it with a BFH...

I still think its a connection issue that's causing your issue. When I had connection issues my MS did all types of dumb ish. Steve, pointed me in the right direction and now it seems to be working well.

DIY = Do It Yourself.... I really don't think they thought about the customer service nightmare that would start from MS. They maintain that attitude. They seem to be more considerate about having people ship things to them for repair rather than helping people tune or set up the system properly.

I've only dealt with the forum for MS and got decent results...( after slamming them on said forum ). I jumped the gun because of what I heard and read.... In the end I ended up satisfied with the results.

I got better responses and quicker talking to the msextra forum guys. They were the ones that were able to find my pinched vacuum line for the MAP Sensor within the hour compared to me spending 4 weeks trying to track down the issue.

Matt comes in there sometimes, but its the Turnerstudio guys that are really the guru's in my opinion.

connect MS through the USB connection

click START

in the search window type "device manager" and hit the ENTER key

look for any devices that are highlighted with a yellow exclamation point and post them here

Here you go, already went down that path as I initially had to update drivers to get it to connect at all but maybe you'll see something I don't.

IMG_8134.JPG
IMG_8136.JPG

Not going to fight the sideways pictures :)

Update:

ECU connects, datalogger works, car idled

Steves tune is vastly better than the one DIY sent me. But there's something in the idle/IAC/warmup settings that are keeping me from really getting into a clean idle.
It hangs around 1200-1300 (it'll idle at 850 if you accidentally leave one of the coil banks disconnected lol)

The VE analyzer doesn't appear to be doing anything for me.

I'll send Steve a log and go from there.

But it is substantial progress

Reactions: 6 users
Very good. Now we just need to be sure that the idle control is in fact happening. (Closed loop idle) and a setting isn't holding it out.

Sometimes the idle control settings (for the idle valve itself) need to be reversed. Or the polarity swapped.

Very good. Now we just need to be sure that the idle control is in fact happening. (Closed loop idle) and a setting isn't holding it out.

Sometimes the idle control settings (for the idle valve itself) need to be reversed. Or the polarity swapped.
It's currently set to open loop idle control.
I'm going to try a few different settings there regarding the IAC and going to change some values in the coolant enrichment table a bit as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Warmup enrichment should only be tuned once the ve table has been adjusted. Unless the enrichment is so far out that the car ceases function.

Open loop control.....that makes more sense now, with open loop control the ECU simply adjusts the valve to the settings that you have predetermined. Simply put the value you have set as the lowest "step" is too high. The valve may not even be moving at all depending on the settings you have in place.
I'm pretty sure the tune I sent you was setup for closed loop idle. sometimes the settings change when loaded if there is a firmware code mismatch.

Can you screen shot the settings? I will review them and send you a picture of what to change them to.