Tensioner pulley making tiny chirp?

281CI96Coupe

Oct 30, 2006
The tensioner pulley is making a tiny chirp/squeak...What can do to make it stop doing this because I dont want to sit on it and not do anything about. It doesnt do it all the time but when i get on it sometimes it does it? Any advice guys?

-Nate

• Sponsors (?)

The tensioner pulley is making a tiny chirp/squeak...What can do to make it stop doing this because I dont want to sit on it and not do anything about. It doesnt do it all the time but when i get on it sometimes it does it? Any advice guys?

-Nate

put a new tensioner on it, esp if you have the old style tensioner wth the aluminum arm, which is prone to bending and causing belt squeal and other belt issues.
Ford has an improved tensioner that has a steel arm, part # XR3Z-6B209-DB and comes wth a new belt, pricey but worth it:nice:

Randy's info is spot on. I started with a little chirp, and ended with a fairly constant squeal, especially inder load. I knew it wasn't the belt because mine was really fresh.

The kit you can get (through Randy) has the steel tensioner arm and a new tensioner pulley attached (plus belt). Good stuff , and genuine factory parts, which work. I installed mine today. HTH

My tensioner started grinding into my front cover at about 20k (you know, the 'quality' factory piece). I bought a replacement at Napa for $20 or $30 and have put on another 25k with no issues.

The way I discovered it was that my belt was slipping / squeaking. When I replaced the belt I was looking closer and saw the metal shavings.