That much boost for not much $$$???

Had a friend telling me last night that he was consiedering buying a turbo for his gt. He said he can get a brand new turbo and all the piping for like 1200 bucks. He said it would get me up to 400 hp. If this is true then why doesn't everyone get that instead of spending well over 3k for a s/c. Those of you with experience please share.

• Sponsors (?)

Turbo is more expensive than supercharger and good supercharger systems cost $2500 and up.

I would say that to sequential twin turbo a Mustang properly would cost $10,000.

MPH will install the twins for a little over $7000 last time I called. the turbos should support around 600-700RWHP.

But you can make your own turbo pretty cheap...and it would be a SMALL turbo to juts support 400HP. Basically no lag though...thats good.

Hunter-White said:
Had a friend telling me last night that he was consiedering buying a turbo for his gt. He said he can get a brand new turbo and all the piping for like 1200 bucks. He said it would get me up to 400 hp. If this is true then why doesn't everyone get that instead of spending well over 3k for a s/c. Those of you with experience please share.
You most likely would have to do alot of custom fabrication and welding to get that to work on your car. Homemade turbo's can be done fairly cheap if you can do the work yourself.

03ghoststang said:
yup that is true if you are willing to fabricate stuff then it will come out cheaper but you will have to be very patient

Somebody in 94-95 forums made his own rear twin turbo set up in a couple of weekends. Since it was rear turbo, the basic skills required was just welding.

It was cheaper than any S/C setup and on his first dyno run he accidently made 550 rwhp and rising before he cut it off. He capped it at 5 psi after that. And they were relatively small turbos at that.

So yeah, it is possible.

But no, your friend is wrong, there are no turbo kits on the market for a Mustang GT for $1200 (if anything, it would be a used package and probably not so great...). If he is somehow correct though, tell him to tell you where to find that, cause I'd buy it :D