The best supercharger. . . . . .is a turbocharger.

Cammed90Notch

Mar 26, 2003
Greenville, SC
Just face it and stop "whining" :p

I dunno, it seems as if SCers still rule the Mustang scene, but that seems to be fading, and fast at that. SCers have their place, they can make great power, they have a nice whine at idle, but the power curve and RPM at which full boost is what holds it back. With a turbo, you have to deal with heat and breaking stuff 'cause you get greedy with boost, but "all we want" is 350rwhp, right? :rolleyes: :nice:

The point of this thread is,
Why haven't you, or why aren't you going w/ a turbo? (1) Price (2) installation, or what? :flag:

Oh, and the can of worms has officially been opened :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

Nice opinionated "gloat" post in the tech forum.

BTW, you just refered to a turbo setup as a type of supercharger :flag: :flag:
The best supercharger.......is a turbocharger
Way to make a point in regards to saying superchargers suck.

Until you know everything there is to external power adders and forced induction, there's no point in even starting a post like this. Turbos have plenty of drawbacks and faults of their own (even more than you stated).

It's a play on words because in every magazine I still see tons of SCer stuff, on boards I see, "What SCer?" etc. I wish I had known about them when I first started, but I was disallusioned by all of the "set backs."

Please name the set backs/cons of them :shrug: And if you haven't noticed, the tech section here isn't that much of a strictly tech section

I have noticed a small trend towards turbocharging as well. I am not an expert on either, but if you look at heads-up racing there are some instances where turbocharging has worked very well for some people's racing programs. I think it trickles down to the "averege joe" racer. I believe that there would be more turbocharged cars if it weren't for the more complex installation and plumbing associated with the turbo, and the stigma(which I don't really know the validity of it) that turbos are more of a handfull to tune.

The only reason why we see more supercharges on the road right now is because of the price! Most turbo kits cost $5000 and up right now. Hopefully they will come down so we see more on the street. I can find a supercharger kit super cheap right now. If I had the money, I would definitely go turbo. Unfortunately I'm a college student on a budget.

Ok, yes, price is an issue, but I know some people/companies are working on that :) Another problem is waiting 3 stinking months for something I can make in a few days if all the parts are there. There are a lot of problems with turbo companies, and hopefully feedback in this thread will let them know!

This is a deep subject. What works great for one appication may not work for another. The advantages and dissadvantages have been discussed many, many times.

If I were to get a power adder, it would either be a Turbo or a Nitrous, possibly both!!!

I am working on blueprinting a twin turbo setup with the assistance of a friend who has turbo'd an Integra, and done a full Skyline motor swap into a 240SX. Both turbo setups were DIY and this guy knows his induction theory.

Basically, $1000 is more than enough for a junk yard twin turbo setup. If you want new turbos, add $1000-$2000 more for a twin turbo setup. $3000-5000 seems to be the complete kit price range.

A nice twin turbo setup will like smoke most superchargers without different pulleys on them. I don't just toss this out there...it is backed by a lot of reading on the Mustang turbo sites (and personal turbo stang sites) who are seeing lower than 12s with a twin turbo setup and mild tuning.

But yes, both superchargers and turbos have their drawbacks. Price is a big one right now for a new turbo setup. Also, more companies produce superchargers (and upgrade options) than do turbochargers. For now, a supercharger installation also take a lot less time than a turbo since you are installing exhaust manifolds, wastegate, downpipe, etc etc etc in addition to the blower and intercooler.

To each their own I guess...I am a turbo fan...but I am not going to call any supercharger fans names. :cheers:

Cammed90Notch said:
Werd! I bought a welder, a bigger turbo, and a bunch of other junk for a lot less than a turbo kit.

Can't argue with that point. There was a thread a short time ago about "Junkyard Turbos". Several of the long time Stangnetters have built their own kits with some excellent results. These guys were a whiz at eyeballing something and welding up some tubing, mandrel bent elbows
and having it come out looking professional.

Getting it optimumally (sp?) tuned requires some dyno time for both superchargers and turbos. A sharp guy with the right talent and tuning tools to burn a custom chip or set up a different computer system is a must.

By the way Cammed90Notch, I like your website: don't know if I would ever be up to diving into learning Greek though.

criticman said:
A nice twin turbo setup will like smoke most superchargers without different pulleys on them. I don't just toss this out there...it is backed by a lot of reading on the Mustang turbo sites (and personal turbo stang sites) who are seeing lower than 12s with a twin turbo setup and mild tuning.

But yes, both superchargers and turbos have their drawbacks. Price is a big one right now for a new turbo setup. Also, more companies produce superchargers (and upgrade options) than do turbochargers. For now, a supercharger installation also take a lot less time than a turbo since you are installing exhaust manifolds, wastegate, downpipe, etc etc etc in addition to the blower and intercooler.

Absolutely, a twin turbo is a wonderful thing and can offer the best of both worlds - power down low and in the mid-high rpm range. The main thing going for a s/c is the fact that it is off-the-line power from the get go. Twin turbos eliminate the biggest concern about the arena - turbo lag. The way I see it is if you can get rid ot the biggest drawback and downside to a certain thing then by all means go for it.

However as also stated, price is a big issue. While turbos are nice, they are certainly pricey and when you hop in the world of twin turbos then you only pay for it even more so!

IMO being N/A and looking in, the turbo is more efficient and the appeal to me for a J/Y turbo setup is very high. The bad points are turbo companies have a legacy of being shady (a few bad apples...). It is quite complicated to do a J/Y turbo setup (I am afraid to waste money and dont have time to see what fits).

So to counter that, there are very reputable S/C's out there and the have brand recognition. Everyone who deals with mustangs know who vortec and paxton are.

One more thing on J/Y anything. I make my comments based on every junkyard I have ever visited. They charge outragous prices, dont know where a damn thing is and act if you are a nusiance when walking in.

Possibly if I found a fair priced J/Y that didnt treat customers like sheet, I would have a different opinion.