The best supercharger. . . . . .is a turbocharger.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's something simple. Buy a T70 with a .68 turbine housing for a stock engine, you put in a 331 with AFR 185 heads so you put a .8x or .9x exhaust housing on it, it's THAT simple. It will take about 10 minutes and $150 to change what you need, it's basically that simple :)

mooktank said:
i just bought a T70 with .68 turbine housing for 450 shipped.

I wish I got in on that group purchase, but my T70 should be here in a few weeks, the postal service finally returned my money order (they apparently can't read English, cause they returned it due to "insufficient address information" so I sent it out again today)

Like stated, once your exhuast system is built, your pretty much done. If you decide to change the heads that run a differnt pattern port (ie, stuff wont bolt up) then ya, the exhuast has to change. As your setup changes (or you up the power) you can change the turbo ,the compressor wheel or the stage of the turbine. When you go with a turbo setup the flange's are mostly unversal (ie: t3, t4 etc). As far as changing the boost level, cake, if you turn the volume knob on your stero, you can turn the boost up(or down) on your setup.

Every setup has its "down sides" ...but as far as effiiecent boost, "whipl" twin screws can make a max of what 50%? my stock t3 runs in the 70% range...which is Massive as far as effiecentcy gaps go!

I love the idea of a KB (or roots) type blower, i dont down them...but much to many blower guys suprise..you can leave the line with plenty of boost w/ a turbo, then run away from them all the way up the band!...i can , and i have a 2.3! lol :)

I have a friend that has been building custom turbo systems for mustangs, vetts, the hemi, etc. (old and newer models) for several years now. There are many possiblities and options when adding a custom turbo to your car. With a STOCK(with high milage) 5.0, one can make the maximum power the block is capable of with no other mods or building. Also, if you get a list of all the parts that you need for a single turbo setup(which is plenty), you can shop around(especially ebay) and put together a complete turbo setup for your fox body for just under 3 grand! I know I have done all of this.
Also if you live in the Houston area I know the guru to go to! He is a perfectionist at his work. I have learned much from him.

txplayboy001 said:
I have a friend that has been building custom turbo systems for mustangs, vetts, the hemi, etc. (old and newer models) for several years now. There are many possiblities and options when adding a custom turbo to your car. With a STOCK(with high milage) 5.0, one can make the maximum power the block is capable of with no other mods or building. Also, if you get a list of all the parts that you need for a single turbo setup(which is plenty), you can shop around(especially ebay) and put together a complete turbo setup for your fox body for just under 3 grand! I know I have done all of this.
Also if you live in the Houston area I know the guru to go to! He is a perfectionist at his work. I have learned much from him.

Would u care to share more information and pics of your setup?

sirsureshot39 said:
What cam would you guys recommend for a (+400ci) small block to run low 9's?

Its not that easy..compressor maps, AR sizing/spool time, drag application, streetability...check out www.turbomustangs.com Look at the turbo sizing charts

Thanx.
This is my eventually goal, but for now im trying to run 10's on the bottle (small shot, 125-150hp).

I'm glad all of this was posted because I will need all the help I can get. My wife works with a guy that's giving her his twin turbos to give to me. They were from a mustang he sold years ago and has no interest in keeping them stored in his garage. He said one of the turbos may need to be rebuilt but everything was there to install the kit on my car.

I'm pretty happy to get these for free but I don't have a clue on installation and doubt my 156,000 stock 5.0 will be able to handle them.

People can put together a single turbo kit for $1400ish, especially if you're blow-thru carb'd instead of EFI.

As for that turbo for running 9s, a T70 would do the job, a GT45 would do the job, a 91mm, etc. T70 (the smallest of the ones I just listed) is good for 830ish hp.