The Magical Mustang Cure

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks!

I'm glad that you got that I hadn't meant it as a blast on people that used 3.73 gears (especially effectively) just a fun poke at the often innaccurate attributes people have tied to the gears and the legend that surrounds them that has grown over time and has seemed to take on a life of its own as it passed from one person to the next ;)

I think 3.73s are fine and are a great gear choice for the right combination. My personal approach to gear use is that I only use gear ratios that ar emathematically correct for the application to provide a specific performance result, in essence, just like Ford did from the factory :)

Ryan

donjohn said:
the whole thing was a satire on gearing...
i liked it.. and will probably go with 3.73s :)

There's nothing "wrong" with 3.73s as a bolt on for 5.0s, but they don't provide a "performance improvement" in specific applications over a better gear choice when 3.73 gears don't meet those needs, say like a stock 5.0 with 3.08s in a drag race, which will run faster running through the traps in 3rd gear (which it is built to do) than in 4th with 3.73s.

The reason I poked fun at 3.73s is because they are a popular performance mod that people put in their cars without understanding that it doesn't work as well as they might think for all or even most applications. You might notice a "seat of the pants" improvement on the street when compared to stock or other higher (numerically lower) gearing when using the same transmission gear, but it doesn't actually improve performance for say, straights or corners on a road course or quarter mile time...especially when that gearing for, as an example, a completely stock 5.0 Mustang will only provide excessive wheel spin under hard launch (or hard throttle coming out of a corner) where there was none before.

Realistically, if a driver wants more seat of the pants feel, instead of swapping gears, all that would be needed is to downshift, run the transmission gear out further or launch at a higher RPM and use clutch modulation to keep wheel spin from occuring.

Ultimately, for specific performance applications a mathematically accurate gearing choice is much better than a random gear choice. Ford did this with the 5.0 from the factory, as I stated above, by gearing the car to finish a drag in third gear while still providing traction with the smaller/less sticky (than serious performance tires) tires.

In the case of the stock 5.0 Mustang, where the stock tire HEIGHT is used, but with more width (or a transmission with a numerically lower 1st gear such as a T5Z), you would see better acceleration over the entire quarter mile with 4.10 gears (provided the extra shift wasn't something that slowed the car down because the driver couldn't perform it quickly and smoothly enough), which is the gear that will allow the stock motor to provide the most power over the distance of a quarter mile drag (the stock 3.08/3rd gear combination is 3.94 for 85-89 cars and 4.12 for 90-95 cars). 3.73s or 3.55s don't allow the motor to fully spin in 4th gear in a stock 5.0 configuration and thus the motor doesn't get a chance to provide the most propulsion at the end of the track like the 3.08s in third...and they add an extra shift (which is time the car doesn't see power going down the track). But the key here is in a STOCK APPLICATION for DRAG RACING. Once the drivetrain is modified or the performance application changes, the gearing need is probably going to change...and in surprising ways.

Ryan

Swarzkopf said:
....so what's wrong with 3.73s for a bolt-on 5.0 Mustang?

hrspwrjunkie said:
There's nothing "wrong" with 3.73s as a bolt on for 5.0s, but they don't provide a "performance improvement" in specific applications over a better gear choice when 3.73 gears don't meet those needs, say like a stock 5.0 with 3.08s in a drag race, which will run faster running through the traps in 3rd gear (which it is built to do) than in 4th with 3.73s.

The reason I poked fun at 3.73s is because they are a popular performance mod that people put in their cars without understanding that it doesn't work as well as they might think for all or even most applications. You might notice a "seat of the pants" improvement on the street when compared to stock or other higher (numerically lower) gearing when using the same transmission gear, but it doesn't actually improve performance for say, straights or corners on a road course or quarter mile time...especially when that gearing for, as an example, a completely stock 5.0 Mustang will only provide excessive wheel spin under hard launch (or hard throttle coming out of a corner) where there was none before.

Realistically, if a driver wants more seat of the pants feel, instead of swapping gears, all that would be needed is to downshift, run the transmission gear out further or launch at a higher RPM and use clutch modulation to keep wheel spin from occuring.

Ultimately, for specific performance applications a mathematically accurate gearing choice is much better than a random gear choice. Ford did this with the 5.0 from the factory, as I stated above, by gearing the car to finish a drag in third gear while still providing traction with the smaller/less sticky (than serious performance tires) tires.

In the case of the stock 5.0 Mustang, where the stock tire HEIGHT is used, but with more width (or a transmission with a numerically lower 1st gear such as a T5Z), you would see better acceleration over the entire quarter mile with 4.10 gears (provided the extra shift wasn't something that slowed the car down because the driver couldn't perform it quickly and smoothly enough), which is the gear that will allow the stock motor to provide the most power over the distance of a quarter mile drag (the stock 3.08/3rd gear combination is 3.94 for 85-89 cars and 4.12 for 90-95 cars). 3.73s or 3.55s don't allow the motor to fully spin in 4th gear in a stock 5.0 configuration and thus the motor doesn't get a chance to provide the most propulsion at the end of the track like the 3.08s in third...and they add an extra shift (which is time the car doesn't see power going down the track). But the key here is in a STOCK APPLICATION for DRAG RACING. Once the drivetrain is modified or the performance application changes, the gearing need is probably going to change...and in surprising ways.

Ryan

Nice write up, both on the site and here.

EXACTLY why I went with 4.10s. Also, Grn92LX (sorry I forget your name cause I suck) would have found out where I live and beat me to death with a 75mm TB.

- Adam

Thanks, Adam!

Being the owner of a 95 GTS, I know these cars are considerably more sluggish off the line than the earlier Fox-bodied cars and I can easily see where you would really benefit from going to 4.10s (over the original 3.08s) especially since these cars have both the tire size from the factory to plant the extra gear-derived torque as well as a much improved rear suspension...and of course, the added weight. From my perspective, that was a very intelligent performance decision. I would consider doing the same thing myself were I not redesigning the drivetrain entirely.

Ryan

Black95GTS said:
Nice write up, both on the site and here.

EXACTLY why I went with 4.10s. Also, Grn92LX (sorry I forget your name cause I suck) would have found out where I live and beat me to death with a 75mm TB.

- Adam