...the mother of invention

timk

Founding Member
Jan 8, 2002
st.louis, mo
i just installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on saturday, and forgot a pressure guage. went to Napa, got started, wrong guage. fittings were all wrong. drat.

the pressure reading, as we all know, is taken from the shraeder valve fitting on the fuel rail. hmmm. shraeder valve. my bicycle shock pumps have extremely accurate guages, and they are shraeder valve. so, i removed the core from the fuel rail fitting, put on the Fox shock pump, and bingo! perfect pressure guage. i'm not sure how long the pump will last with gasoline eating up it's seals, but it worked for the time being.

just had to share my mechanical hack story. not quite as ghetto as using bicycle brake cable as carburator linkage on my '68 torino, but it's close.

• Sponsors (?)

Im sorta curious how long it will last... i need to buy a fuel pressure gauge badly but i don't feel like spending 35+ dollars...

Has anybody made a fuel pressure guage that just skrews on the shrader valve and stays there?

i have more wires hold things up in my car (exhaust, tranny mount). its funny cause im always like "im just gonna leave it for awhile and ill fix it later"....3 months later, still there :)

moneypit94 said:
the VDO one i found at summit for 19.95 only goes up to 15psi. It would be good if i had a carburator...

Is there another one that i missed?

yes

call them tell them what you want. they have black .... and then chrome housing with white face

mine = 0-100

so, i removed the core from the fuel rail fitting, put on the Fox shock pump, and bingo! perfect pressure guage. i'm not sure how long the pump will last with gasoline eating up it's seals, but it worked for the time being.

I don't know if I would trust that. IF it let's go....Instant fire...Not a good idea.

>I don't know if I would trust that. IF it let's go....Instant fire...Not a good idea

no, no, i didn't LEAVE it there! it was just used to do the adjusting! after i got the pressure set, it came off. those bicycle shock pumps are made for 250+ psi, so it wasn't a pressure issue, just that i don't think it'll be much good as a shock pump soon after the gasoline has eaten it up. it wouldn't have been eaten through in one use, because the oil blow-by from some of the shocks is pretty caustic, too. shoot, man, i'm a hack, but not CRAZY!! :)

i always have the best intentions. i lay in bed at night, thinking about this perfect engine bay, with perfectly matching parts, meticulously put together, polished, painted, whatever. even dream of hiding the wires like some of these guys do.

in the end, there i am, using a bicycle shock pump to adjust fuel pressure, none of the blue paint on the engine matches, my wires are everywhere, zip ties instead of pretty fasteners...just a hack.

at least it works. that's all i have to hang my hat on.

just wanted to say BEAT YOU TO IT!!!!1 MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ok, with that said, its probably already gone...i used a tire pressure gauge (the stick kind) checked the original pressure, changed the regulator and then set the new one and it quit working soon after..

GTPhreak said:
just wanted to say BEAT YOU TO IT!!!!1 MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Me too! I use a very nice Victor tire guage that looks just like a rail mount only it doesn't screw on. It cost $3 a wal-mart and is very nice. :nice:

I've used it quite a bit lately.... never had any problems and the seal still looks good.

Called Summit up on your guyes advice and bought the guage and the fitting which was also the prices you guys said 14.95 + 7.xx

Man forums kick ass...
Thanks Guys...

P.S. Now i have no excuse to not run Nitrous... (didn't have a fuel pressure gauge to see what i was adjusting) So its time for some 11 sec runs... :nice:

unclejackrock said:
Yes, there is one at Summit (0-100lbs) for like $15, then you also need the fitting to connect it to the fuel rail. It's like $7.

Just wanted to add that I had one of these. Well one day I started the car and smelt raw fuel. I thought damn I better turn this car off. Popped the hood and fuel was all over the upper intake. After looking I found the culprit. That $15 gauge cracked and was spraying fuel all over my motor. Luckily it was at start up and not while the motor and headers were hot. Rail mounts can be dangerous. Best bet is purchasing a gauge that can be used and then put in the tool box. Or buy an electric one that goes into the car.

:stupid: that would have made for an exspensive learning exsperince had that gone south on you somewhere down the road. Though i have had an injector rail pop out spraying gas on the lower intake, kind of scary to pop the hood and see puddles of boiling gas.....

Ahhh yes, The mother of invention....Have a meeting with her today... :bang: For my Fox swap i bought a Explorer TB.....WRONG.....The ball the throttle cable goes into is 180 degree's off location to a Fox unit....W.T.F....Doesn't anything ever work out.

Pulled the car over, ripped it down and then....Somethings Wack....Need to make a homey set-up today...or attempt it til i get pissed and throw the freaking thing... :D

Stangfreak95 said:
Can you guys post pics of those bike or tire guages that you used for this ?

uh, the bike gauge was obviously not a good idea. after re-checking my fuel pressure with a proper snap-on gauge, i was pretty far off with the fox shock pump. live and learn. sometimes the ghetto way is not the good way. gotta try to get that out of my nature. :rolleyes: