the next Generation II Fanatic

kcobra302

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2000
latham ny
attached is a pic of the king with the new front suspension and my son.

new upper arms, new lower tubular arms, 325lbs springs, strut rods, sway bar end links and bushings, poly bushings all around. ride height came down about an 1" or so. i had to change the front tires to 185-60-15 due to rubbing on the chin spoiler wheel flare.

also installed new exhaust. from the headers went with 2 1/2 into a flowmaster y collector. then 3" pipe thru a cat and over the rear to a imco (flowmaster takeoff) muffler with twin 2 1/2 tips. i used a flowmaster universal tailpipe kit to get over the rear.

Attachments

• kc1.jpg
    kc1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 200
  • driv.jpg
    driv.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Sponsors (?)

Very nice, awesome paint job! Your boy is adorable, reminds me a lot of when I'd help my Dad bleed the brakes, etc on the old 67 Ford we had. I remember straining to hold the brake pedal down for such long periods of time because Dad would forget to tell me he had already tightened the valve. :) Anyway nice job.

d

thanks but pictures can be deceiving. the paint was done in the fall of 92' so its starting to show it age. paint is getting cloudy. needs a really good detail to bring it back to life.

parts for the front end came from heidts hot rod shop and speedway motors

the uppers are stock and the lowers are tubular (both come with poly bushings and balljoints) - speedway motors

springs and misc bushings heidts. i do have a few pics. see what i can find

dmoody said:
I remember straining to hold the brake pedal down for such long periods of time because Dad would forget to tell me he had already tightened the valve. :) Anyway nice job.

d

I remember that all II well. I was always helping him bleed the brakes. I also sometimes let off to soon and then I learned some new words :)

It appears you did away with the strut on the lower arm. I've seen threads here that say that the IIs lower strut point wasn't strong enough without the strut. What's your experience been? I would think now you have much more clearance for headers. Do you have a part # for the 325lb springs your using?

kcobra302 said:
a couple of the suspension

Thanks for the pics and info Kcobra302!!!! Looks great!

Jeffnoel is asking about the strut? Is that another name for the sway bar? I have seen ads for tubular lowers that have the strut mounting point and some that eliminate them. Have also seen some that are made to eliminate the springs and shock and replace with coil-overs. Anybody done this? Are the coil overs that much better or it pretty much a looks/show thing? It nice to see after all the II's that have sacrificed their suspension for other cars that the resulting technology is getting used in some II's.

nope. strut rods are still there. hadn't installed them in the one pic and the are painted black so they are not easy to see in the other pic.

strut rods run from the lower arm to the chassis. i believe they are used to reduce front to rear movement and to keep the lower arms moving within in the same plane.

please correct me if i am wrong.

i considered going to the coil overs but i was pretty sure the springs i picked would do the job. if i was going for a "road racing" style suspesion i would have gone with the coil overs. spring changes and adjustment to the spring would be much easier and perhaps remove some weight.

i will check the heidts catalog when i get home for the part number on the springs