THE PROBABLY ALREADY ANSWERED 351W QUESTIONS

83T-top

Oct 2, 2008
So I had my engine out and tore it apart, was gonna put forged pistons in and some rods. Even bought a set of Edelbrock RPM heads. Started to clean my block and theres a crack.

So I've decided I'm goin with a 351W, tried finding swap information in the swap thread but couldn't. Did searching on the internet found out most stuff, but still wondering on a couple things.

Are the older blocks really that much stronger then the newer roller blocks?

Will my 302 distributor work in the 351W?

I know I'll need a balancer for a 351 because it's a 28oz instead of 50oz, but can
I get my flywheel balanced or need a new one? It's a 5spd

I know the oil pump is different, but do I just need a pan from a fox 302 or do I actually have to buy a swap pan, I don't know if they are deeper or just a stock fox pan in the kit.

Will my 302 roller lifters fit into a 351w roller block.

Thanks for any input, and if someone has any suggestions on the swap I'm open to all info. It seems like when you go to the swap sites they always leave something out. That's why I'm asking.

• Sponsors (?)

So I had my engine out and tore it apart, was gonna put forged pistons in and some rods. Even bought a set of Edelbrock RPM heads. Started to clean my block and theres a crack.

So I've decided I'm goin with a 351W, tried finding swap information in the swap thread but couldn't. Did searching on the internet found out most stuff, but still wondering on a couple things.

Are the older blocks really that much stronger then the newer roller blocks?

Yes, but the late model 351W blocks are still a vast improvement over the 302.

Will my 302 distributor work in the 351W?

No. You'll want one from a late model 351 truck where the TFI is attached to the distributor

I know I'll need a balancer for a 351 because it's a 28oz instead of 50oz, but can
I get my flywheel balanced or need a new one? It's a 5spd

You probably could get the flywheel rebalanced, but flywheels are cheap. I'd personally just pick up a new one

I know the oil pump is different, but do I just need a pan from a fox 302 or do I actually have to buy a swap pan, I don't know if they are deeper or just a stock fox pan in the kit.

You'll need a different pan.

Will my 302 roller lifters fit into a 351w roller block.

Yes, as long as it's a 351W roller block. They'll physically fit into a non-roller block, but you'd need a small base circle cam to use them.

Thanks for any input, and if someone has any suggestions on the swap I'm open to all info. It seems like when you go to the swap sites they always leave something out. That's why I'm asking.

My replies are in red. :)

Ha, no need to mention the carb, reading comprehension just seems to have escaped me tonight, as if your name and signature weren't a dead giveaway. :rlaugh:

Grabbing a distributor from something like an 83 LTD with a 351 would probably work. Just have to swap cam gears over, so you have one that's compatible with the roller cam.