IMG_20220121_144844153.jpg
IMG_20220121_174436198.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/fCi-fytEQO8

• Loved It!
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

IMG_20220121_185947202.jpg

IMG_20220121_190027351.jpg

The end of an era... And an error. $2147.11, not including the several base gaskets, IAC motors, and o-rings replaced dealing with the hunk of junk.

I'll be throwing it on Facebook Marketplace tomorrow.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Progress is progress even if you feel you're taking a step backward - which at this point I don't think you feel that way. So did you take it to the shop just to swap the MSD :poo:EFI for the carburetor or to swap it and tune it? And how's it reacting for you now? :)

:cool:
Okay, I had so many thoughts that one must have been the right pick.
It even looks like weight saving... that is a lot of stuff.
I hope you can now enjoy the car more than since 2015.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg
The actual answer to the riddle is that the 4.6 and the II are finally in the same place.
Progress is progress even if you feel you're taking a step backward - which at this point I don't think you feel that way. So did you take it to the shop just to swap the MSD :poo:EFI for the carburetor or to swap it and tune it? And how's it reacting for you now? :)
That Edelbrock has me feeling really stupid. For the past 6+ years, it has ridden around in the trunk of the car, been in the bedroom floor, in a shed, in the garage, rode around in the cargo area of the 4Runner, stepped on, left upside down, and every other awful thing you can imagine, and all I did was clean the dust and rat :poo: out of it with some brake cleaner, bolt it on, and start it up. It dropped down from high idle to low with a single throttle blip after 20 seconds of running, and I didn't have to adjust a thing. It's like the AK-47 of fuel metering devices.

Here's me taking it out of the shop this morning:

View: https://youtu.be/wzT2y6_0QFw

Reactions: 6 users
So... Full update...

ESP/HRL2 is at the BMW dealership full-time with me because I finally moved out of my parental units' place a little over a month ago and got an apartment across town with the girlfriend I met on August 1st. Just didn't feel right leaving the II at my parents' place when I have only the vaguest intentions of ever being there again, for anything, so I brought it to the shop and parked it out back so that when business slowed down, I'd have it here to play with. It's sat out there for over a month until I finally had time to do something with it yesterday. The 4.6 still sits on it's stand in "mock up" condition, as I still need an oil pan, pickup tube, balancer, flywheel, and clutch set to get started on actual assembly, as well as gaskets and head bolts.

The carburetor swap on the existing 302 served several purposes. For one, I don't need two feet to drive it now like I did with the malfunctioning EFI unit, and it made sure the car is drivable should I need to move it to another place should my work or living situation change.

The 4.6/3650 swap is still the plan for the car, as is the turbo and micro squirt EFI with an EDIS-8.

Reactions: 3 users
Fuel pump looks shiny and new.

It is, brand new Mr. Gasket pump from Speedway. Fuel line is new too, as is the heat wrap around it.

Its cool stuff is finally happening!

Yes, but this isn't even the cool stuff.

Is it too soon to beg for a burnout video?

Yup. Today was wiring day (another slow day at the shop, another day making next to nothing, I hate this time of year at BMW), and while it's back to being startable at the moment, it's not burnout ready, a lot of wrapping and zip-tying to do yet.

Reactions: 1 user
IMG_20220122_182811151.jpg

Eliminated the fender-mounted solenoid today. I'm not crazy about the yellow wire with the fusible link just running across like that, but this car will be completely re-wired with an aftermarket harness before everything is all said and done, and it doesn't pose an actual danger right now, so I'll settle for tidying the rest of that mess up a bit on the next slow day.

Reactions: 1 users
You just tidy'n things up so you can sell a running engine??
I'm not sure what I'm doing with the engine yet. I'm actually thinking about yanking the 302 out on a Friday night before my Saturday off, then going in on said Saturday for a quick once-over, cleaning, oil pan gasket, and coat of paint. While it's out I can get an idea of the 4.6's fit.

If the right Ford project comes along, the 302 could have a new home, it'd have to be a clean older Ford truck, Galaxie, Maverick, Pinto, Falcon, or Fairlane (or even first gen Mustang or Cougar),

Reactions: 4 users
ESP's MSD EFI POS got 86ed ASAP ,
ESP is getting Lincoln MOD to become HRLII
ESP, Tools, 4.6 are all in same county, naw same city block finally.
Got it....

So the question becomes...
s-l640.jpg
If a Lincoln LS 4.6 is the donor, does this qualify as a "LS" swap?

• Ah yes, I see.  I see.
  • Haha
ESP's MSD EFI POS got 86ed ASAP ,
ESP is getting Lincoln MOD to become HRLII
ESP, Tools, 4.6 are all in same county, naw same city block finally.
Got it....

So the question becomes...
s-l640.jpg
If a Lincoln LS 4.6 is the donor, does this qualify as a "LS" swap?
Lincoln LS didn't come with a 4.6, they had a gawd-awful Jaguar engine.

• Agree

View: https://youtu.be/0fAl-xUDW6c

It's dead at the shop this week... like... "not sure how I'm going to pay my rent next week" dead.

It's also raining, so today I grabbed my trusty spray bottle, put two drops of soap in it and filled it with water, grabbed my stash of dollar store microfiber towels, and washed away the later of filth and the oxidation haze from the car's paint. It already looked a lot better, but since it was still dead, I whipped out my trusty Milwaukee buffer I usually use for headlights and practiced using polishing compound on the deck lid so that whenever I get it painted, I'll be ready.

Reactions: 3 users
IMG_20220126_083130499.jpg

One red Milwaukee polishing pad, as promised! (Just a day late.)

A new air cleaner, a pair of new breathers for the valve covers, an oil pan gasket, and a thermal fan switch are all on the way from Summit, and I went to Advance and ordered a different upper radiator hose, and bought some paint to refresh the appearance of the engine.

Reactions: 2 users