This is why you buy a scatter sheild.....

Alright guys,

I may be wrong on this, but isn't a scattershield the blanket that wraps around a trans in case of a catastrophy like this, and a blowproof bell is like the lakewood piece. They both have the same purpose. Other than that, BUY THE Blowproof bell, and walk away. Power always exploits the weakest link, and when you throw some sticky tires on a car, those hairline cracks in a flywheel, can be the end of your legs.

Never heard of any kind of blanket? As long as i've been around cars, a scatter shield is the plate that covers the open end of the bell housing before it bolts to the engine (uh, like the pic i posted up above).

These even came stock on a lot of cars, but were more for blocking foreign objects from flying up from the road into your clutch/flywheel, which is also something that could cause it to fly apart.

• Sponsors (?)

Never heard of any kind of blanket? As long as i've been around cars, a scatter shield is the plate that covers the open end of the bell housing before it bolts to the engine (uh, like the pic i posted up above).

These even came stock on a lot of cars, but were more for blocking foreign objects from flying up from the road into your clutch/flywheel, which is also something that could cause it to fly apart.

agreed....this is always what i have known the "scattershield" to be

Here you go. Blanket, also known as scattershield. http://www.exospeed.com/category.php?id=197

Yeah, thinking back at it know I believe that the term scattershield is used somewhat loosely. I think it's used mostly as any device which protects the driver from catastrophic clutch/flywheel/flexplate failure. A blow proof bellhousing can be considered a scattershield as can a blanket…or even a proper sized piece of sheet metal. For NHRA use all must be SFI approved…and no, the tranny spacer/dust cover is not considered a scattershield.

FYI, I stumbled across this http://www.importdrag.com/2006 NHRA Safety Overview.pdf . I'm not sure how accurate it is…but it was the best I could do on short notice. :nice:

For anyone that doesn't like to click on links....
Flywheel shield – All cars using a clutch and running quicker than 11.99 or faster than
135mph must be equipped with a flywheel shield made of 1/4inch minimum thickness
steel plate. In lieu of shield, a blanket meeting SFI 4.1 spec, completely surrounding the
bellhousing, is permitted

I'm glad I installed a blowproof housing during my trans swap, even though it was almost $400 and was the biggest PITA to install and align, and it added 50lbs to my car, and it made it damn near impossible to put the engine and tranny back in the car. I'm kinda hoping that my clutch does explode so that I can say it was worth it :rolleyes: