Throttle body spacer- performance gains?

Skymarshal

Nov 5, 2004
Dallas
Has anyone validated a throttle body spacer using a dyno pull or even a G-tech? I've looked at some of the ads for them, and they make some pretty wild claims- more HP, more TQ, more MPG. Some reviews from people who installed them say they "feel more in the mid-range", but I've wondered if anyone has proven that they work.

It doesn't seem like a 1" metal piece with some ridges in it can affect the airflow that much- sort of like the Tornado :bs:

• Sponsors (?)

No, it really doesn't help. Some claim it reduces the heat, but if you think about the heat would go inward not out because the heat in the engine compartment is alot hotter than the heat inside the tube coming from the fenderwell. Plus the air moves too fast. Some of them create a spin to the air that only create turbulance when being pulled downward into the engine, the only way to atomize the fuel/air mix better is inside the chamber not just after the throttle body, and the spin has to be rotational inside the chamber hence why some companies use dished pistons that are engineered a very precice manner to create the spin. It does make a good, overly large paperweight though.

On a V6 Mustang...I see no benefit nor have I heard of any. The SOTP meter is normally someone rationalizing the money that they actually wasted on the product. Heh, no one like to think they bought snake oil.

Now phelonic spacers in certain applications do work....it will keep the heat soak down...which might have a small gain from that.