Tie Rods

marine_80

Jul 8, 2009
got new tires the other day and shop noticed the tie rods (outters rack to wheel) were loose. I've had car for not a year yet and thought it was the rack, anyways he says its a pain to do with out tooling and would charge 150-200. Should i do it myself, have them do it, or buy and replace whole rack (racks ive looked at come with these rod ends installed)
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I believe you should have inner tie rod ends (perhaps in the boot on the rack?) and also outter tie rod ends which connect on the inners and go to the wheels. It sounds like you are describing outter tie rod ends.

When I bought a new rack it did not come with outter tie rod ends, only the inners.

I did buy new outter tie rods when I got my rack. I tried to install them myself. You have to count how many threads it is threaded on or face having your steering WAY off. Well, I counted and was still WAY off. Needless to say I think it is a best practice and practically a must to get an alignment after having your tie rods messed with.

I would encourage you to let them do it. I can't comment on the price, but if you are concerned about the price call a few shops and ask what labor and parts are for replacing your tie rod ends, they should be able to ball park quote you over the phone pending that is all that really needs to be done.

I would not replace the rack unless you have a reason to.

if its just the outers, just replace the outers! They are CHEAP racks are not, if the rack is fine leave it alone lol. There are advantages to having a shop do the ends for you, like they can do a digital alignment on site afterwards (if so equiped) and have it done in one shot. (ask if the alignement is included in the quote as they normaly run 60-100 bucks)

If you are going to do it yourself its not as hard as they may say. You need a BFH, a tie-rod / ball joint fork helps, greese pencil, wrenches and patience ;) You will have to mark the current rods position very carefully before removing it if you want to try to avoid having to get an alignment afterwards.

The parts I'm guessing should run you between 15 and 50 each depending on where you get them, quality and where you live. If you have never done it before expect cursing and swearing, blood and sweat hahaha. Sometimes its worth the pain in the a$$ fee just to have someone do it for you as you do have to be carefull not to bend anything in the process of removing the old ones.

shops prob charge about two hours labor to do it. course this is on a lift that make it easier than jack stands. but you will save so much doing the rods yourself, the experience and know how after you do it yourself. unless you got the money to burn. so instead of about $50 in parts for the inners, and the experience you will prob spend like 300 for them to do it and the alignment. alignment varies from shop to shop but any wear form 65 to 100 for that. if it is a newer updated align rack, a monkey can do it in like 15 min. i can on ours, but i also understand the camber/caster/toe readings rather than just get into green, such as total toe(not applicable on solid rears). especially with the rear being non adjustable. just the front tow is freakin easy to adjust on the rack. especially if everything is already broke free of the rust build up.

inners are easy. just make sure you get the set screw head popped off when undoing the inners.
should be enough room to use a couple wrenches to break em loose without having the use the special inner tie rod tool. as long as there is no steering fluid when you take the boot off your good. you will save your self alot of money doing the work your self. just get yourself a good shop to to do the alignment afterwords. i would align it myself if ur close.

note: im at the bar. hope it makes sense.

I also think the inners are easy. One thing to keep in mind is that a new parts store rack is about $100 and comes with new inner tie rods so don't get too carried away on spending for parts and labor.

Here is a thread that may help. I took the rack apart just to post what the inside looked like. I thought the rack was bad but it turned out to be a bad inner tie rod which had almost 1/4" of play.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1210428