Timing really need help..

Red88 RICK

Sep 2, 2006
Connecticut
ok so i have done serches but dosnt seem liek to many people have had problems like this
I hook up the timing light to advance it a little to see what i can get i was told advanced timing is pretty much free HP and to much will give you a ping iv been up to like 40 degrees and still no ping mayb i cant hear it casue i have a wierd ticking noise coming from the heads iv been at the exhaust listening and everything iv never driven it at that much timing tho for fear of breaking stuff. i Run 93 octane for now i just put it on 10 * cause its never been there yet i usually keep it between 10 and 20 * its a freshly built 302 bored 30 over new everything pretty much internally new balancer also but its not a good balancer iv realized im also using a timing light from my grandpas age it has a price tag on it from kmart for liek $5.00 so mayb it has to do with 2 cheep items...? idk but i still dont understand why im not getting any pinging noise im a pretty good tech not liek soem random guy trying to do these things but this one got me stumped...

• Sponsors (?)

Dont worry about Grand-pa's old timing light. Good thing about them is that they either work or they dont. If its allowing you to see the timing mark on the balancer then its doing its job. Now if that balancer has slipped due to a old wore out key or something then you may have a problem.

If you are trying to hear pinging at idle or reving with "no-load' aka "free-reving", you will be way too far when you finally do hear it.

oh ok thansk ya the balancer is new but its a cheap one i can barly see the numbers and stuff so im going to invest in a good balancer but for now ill just time it by ear i guess should i drive it up a hill to hear pinging if so what gear and stuff a lower or a higher? and rpm

ya i removed the spout yesterday i drove it with the timing light set at 10* i did feel it was slugish so i stoped took the spout out and timed it by ear i noticed at 10* it idled like not a big surg but noticeable so i set it untill it sounded liek a stedy idle then hooked up the light and i dont remember exactly what it was timed at but i know it was higher but iv been driving around with it liek that for a few hours and no ping at all unless a ping sounds liek a ticking noise but thats another story