Tools?

JakeM

Jul 8, 2004
Ok,

My Buddy is going to school to be a mechanic this year. He needs tools. He has narrowed the choices down to Snap On and Mac. What do you guys think? Right now he is kind of leaning toward Snap On.

• Sponsors (?)

JakeM said:
Ok,

My Buddy is going to school to be a mechanic this year. He needs tools. He has narrowed the choices down to Snap On and Mac. What do you guys think? Right now he is kind of leaning toward Snap On.

Matco may also be a good choice. They give student discounts. example---

1/4 10-PC 12PT SKT SET

• 10-Piece 1/4" 12-Point Socket Set
• Hi-Visibility - Identify socket sizes at a glance with our oversized laser markings. Red for SAE and blue for metric.
• Socket Rail - Color coded, unique spring-loaded ball allows easy socket removal and replacement.
• Opti-Torque - Applies torque to fastener sides, not corners allowing more torque to fastener and longer life.
• Counter-Torque - Distributes the torquing stress uniformly throughout the socket extending socket life.
• Jewelry Surface Finish - Improved mirror-like surface finish.

Part#: SA102TA List Price: $77.55 Student Price: $37.22

Matco is also a pretty reputable company.

I hav bought tools from Snap-on, Mac, and Matco all are good tools but I think Snap-on gives you the least amount of crap when you want a tool replaced under warranty. I have been a tech for 10 years and abuse My Snap-on tools daily, and the Snap-on salesman replaces anything no questions asked. If your friend is going to a Technical College they usually have a "Tool Rep Day" where Reps from the manufacturers will have starter kits at Student Discounted prices. This is how I got started. They usually give 15-20% discounts. Tell your buddy good luck, and tell him to specialize in Electrical and Drivability- the moneys is good and the work is lighter :nice: