Toploader variables

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
If I go hunting for a toploader 4 speed in a junkyard, i want to know what to look for. I know there were small block and big block toploaders, i believe with their own bellhousings. I'm assuming its the same, or a nearly so, transmission beneath. What are the differences between those bellhousings? And is there anything else I should look at to be sure that the toploader fits and survives behind my 351w?

• Sponsors (?)

Any Toploader will stand up to ANY 351W. Good luck finding one in a J'yard at this point in time though. Just make sure you don't end up with the late 70's overdrive version. There are two different small block bells for the Toploader , a 157 tooth and the 164 tooth. There are probably more that I can't recall at this time but those are the 2 basic differences. Also be sure to not use a Toploader behind the 79-82 SROD bell. It looks like a Toploader bell, but it's too long for the Toploaders shorter input shaft. It IS however perfect for using with a Tremec.

SadbutTrue said:
If I go hunting for a toploader 4 speed in a junkyard, i want to know what to look for. I know there were small block and big block toploaders, i believe with their own bellhousings. I'm assuming its the same, or a nearly so, transmission beneath. What are the differences between those bellhousings? And is there anything else I should look at to be sure that the toploader fits and survives behind my 351w?

There are application listings on www.4speedtoploaders.com

Look unders ID Charts