Tough door locks

Gellpak

Nov 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
I've got a set of door lock actuators in my car that just aren't powerful enough to throw the locks completely... I was expecting to get more powerful actuators but apparently they are no longer available... did anyone else install remote or power door locks and have trouble getting them to throw all the way? Solutions? anyone know where I could get more powerful mechanisms than the 15/lb ones I've got?

• Sponsors (?)

I used this kit
http://a1electric.com/mes.htm
and have not had any problems.
Another thing to consider is how you hooked them to the lock rod. If you have alot of angles/bends in the rod connecting the lock rod to the actuator you are going to loose force when they activate. I did my hook up a little different. I used straight threaded rod to couple the 2. That way the lift force isn't lost in the rods deflecting

actmnt.JPG

when i put my alarm in i put door acuators in. they arent very heavy duty ones. they are lightweight and plastic made for like a honda or something. at first they didnt even budge the locks so i used a metal prep spray and cleaned out the locks and then regreased them like crazy. ive been using them for probably 2 months now and no probs. i will probably have to regrease them in a cpl months because i live in the dirt. so my suggestion is clean up and grease the locks real well.