Traction

• Sponsors (?)

I used the comp engineering traction bars for years and liked them.

Recently I changed my suspension to more of a cornering car than drag car. I pulled off the traction bars and swapped to a set of Maiers leaf springs and they solved my wheel hop issues.

The car handels great and has no wheel hop.

If you have a four link they won't work.

I have the underrider bars. They stop wheel hop, at the expense of binding the rear end up so bad the car rides horrible and is very inconsistant in a corner.

The brackets come off, just as soon as I get the rotissore up and installed.

Rusty67, you stole my thunder!

I was just gonna post that link! :fuss: :D My thought was, "has anyone installed Cal-Tracs with the Cobra Automotive torque absorbers?" I understand that the spring might help you with some bind issues a Cal-Trac might have, but I'm not smart enough to explain torque steer. I know it stretches the rear portion of the spring and shortens the front portion of the spring on whichever side the car has more traction, usually the outside wheel, pulling the rear . . . to the inside of the turn, and slightly out of line with the front wheels? I would think that a solid Cal-Trac bar would be better in that sense than a Cal-Trac or other underrider with a spring in the middle, right? :scratch: Although that torque absorber would help with sudden shocks to the suspension.

This is a caltrac:

caltracsbar.gif

This is an underrider that binds:

bars%20004.jpg

what if you put that Cobra Automotive spring in a Cal-Trac?

If you put the Cobra spring in a Cal-Trac, would it help, hurt, or be redundant? It seems that those spring rods try to make an underrider bar do the same thing as a Cal-Trac, i.e. not bind. Would it just be redundant to put them as the main link on a Cal-Trac?

Extreme Competition Engineering makes a "caltrac" style that has polyurethane bushings instead of springs for shock absorption.

axle05.JPG

What makes them work so well is that they are installed "loose" and only act when the spring actually begins to wrap, when the spring deflects under acceleration the bar presses the wheels down (lifts the body up). This is accomplished by the device up in the front where the spring passes through. The amount of looseness it easily adjusted too, tighten them up when you go to the track, or loosen them for cruise night.

The Shelby style under-riders are an "always on" type and will affect daily use. They also do not actively/directly engage the spring, mounting from the U-bolt plate in the rear to the subframe near the front eye.

I have a few more pictures of them here:
http://www.edbert.net/axle.htm

Attachments

• axle05.JPG
    axle05.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 377