Tranny not engaging properly

Yesterday morning when I left for work I put the car in reverse and it did nothing. Then I shifted it into drive, yet nothing still. Then 1st and it jumped into gear, Then shifted back up to reverse and it was still in 1st gear. So I pulled it back down to 1st and slowly went thru the gears back to park. Pulled it back down into reverse it then engaged. A little hesitant I pulled out shifted to drive and went to work. It shifted fine like it is suppose too from then on. I got to work and then it would not go into any gear but 1st and according to the scanner it is still in 1st even when in park. The tranny locks but does not disengage the clutch. While driving it will engage clutch A (1st) and then engage clutch B (2nd) at this point it shifts. It will not shift when clutch C engages in the system nor will it recognize neutral or reverse. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Currently the car is on base 40 miles away and looks like it's gonna go up for sale soon.

• Sponsors (?)

My best guess at this point are the electronic shift solenoids. That would explain why it was not engaging reverse or Drive at first. The parts themselves are not expensive..but i'm not sure on how to replace them. I think they are located just within the trans valve body. Perhaps someone else here knows. I only say this because I never owned an Auto, just a 5 Spd manual for 11 years. Those AODE's are tricky sometimes.

I thought it had the 4R70W tranny. If it is and AODE how can I tell the difference. Also as an update my truck quit on my wife the day after and now we are down to one car. I really need to get this mustang back on the road because the truck is going to be another expensive fix. There are 7 us living in this house and the car that is drivable only seats 5. Not to mention I drive 40 miles to work and she drives 10 the oposite direction. Currently I'm dumb founded about these vehicles and a little stressed with a short fuse as well, due to an ex-wife that is still receiving child support (900.00) while the children are here with me for the summer. I took a 2 LB sledge to the door of the truck when it wouldn't close, so I'm a little reluctant to try and pull the tranny apart. I can see myself trying to roll the car on it's side in the parking lot to make it more convenient to work on. Any advice to help me get closer to a more economical decision would be helpful otherwise I might as well just sell it and start over with a minivan.

You're right, my mistake. A little slip up in the years. AODE's were last used in 95 Mustangs. Your trans is a 4R70W. It operates in a very similar manner and has electronic shift solenoids just the same as an AODE. So I would have those checked out, if possible. One other thing... check your trans fluid and make sure it isn't low. Run the engine till it is warmed up, then while the engine is still running, pull the trans dipstick, wipe it off , insert and the n pull the trans dipstic back out and check the level. If it is too low, it will give you problems engaging into gears or get stuck in a gear sometimes.