Transmision Rebuild??

95GTvert[bv12]

Founding Member
Apr 1, 2001
Lake Tahoe, NV
Ok well as i was downshifting do day every time i down shifted into 2nd the shifter would pop right back at me....so i looks as if my 2nd gear syncors are going on me....how much dose a rebuild cost? I see the kit's go for 150 but then how much more is the install? I have seen stuff on doing the rebuild your self but i am not sure how hard that actualy is. Let me know what you guys did when your tranny's went out.
Thanks,
Bob

• Sponsors (?)

This is highly unlikely, but have you installed a short throw shifter lately? The stops could be set too far "in". If not, then I would say it's the trans. Unless you are mechanical, I would not try to rebulild the trans. Lets put it this way, if you can set up a ring and pinion, you can rebuild the trans. It uses the same basic ideas. (Well atleast I think they do, but I have a weird way of thinking). Good luck.

Joe

Sadly i still have a stock shifter....i wish it wasn't this bad but i just went to a tranny shop and i they said i will need a rebuild.....i was just about to buy a set of ported gt40p heads :(....well it looks like i go for a trany instead....what good performance rebuilds are there? i know D&D has one that alittle better and theres g-force trannsy but thats alittle to costly for me any middle gournd?

95GTvert[bv12] said:
Sadly i still have a stock shifter....i wish it wasn't this bad but i just went to a tranny shop and i they said i will need a rebuild.....i was just about to buy a set of ported gt40p heads :(....well it looks like i go for a trany instead....what good performance rebuilds are there? i know D&D has one that alittle better and theres g-force trannsy but thats alittle to costly for me any middle gournd?
Why not just go with an FMS rebuild kit. Just think about it, your car has already seen ~100k miles and the tranny has lasted that long. Of course it hasn't seen these type of power levels for long, but it has held up just fine. What makes the transmission wear the most is flat shifting and missed shifts. As long as you aren't drag racing the car non stop and don't flat shift it, it should be fine for another ~100k. Of course, it's not going to be able to tolerate 500 horsepower, but by that time, you should have upgraded the transmission anyhow.

Joe

well thats is ture this tranny has lasted 81k but i am not one to just put stock stuff back in why not just do it once and do it right? I do plan by the end of summer to have heads and a intake on it so thats more power the the stock one is rated for...and eventaly i want a turbo...but at that point i will be need a new block so i was just looking for somthing thats better then stock but not over kill i could alwasy just go with the D&D rebuild for $150...yeah i could go with fms but it cost more and dosen't have the same ratting (I like the feel good numbers).....how much dose a rebuild normaly run?

For me it's a 30 pack of Budweiser for my old man, I just watch and help out when I can. Because your in California, the price is probably going to be much higher than on the east coast. I think there are like 3 hours involved for someone who knows what they are doing, at say 80 bucks an hour, $240 bucks...maybe?

Joe