transmission question

rllndg17

Jun 9, 2004
I drained and refilled the tranny fluid last weekend w/ 3.2 L (3.4 quarts) of non-synthetic dex III ATF fluid. It was a big improvement in the 1-2-3 shifts on cold startups. I've got 2 questions: 1, I noticed a very small amount of tranny fluid on the floor this morning when backing the car out. Is there some trick to seal up the drain plugs? I noticed that when I took them out they had what seemed like gasket sealer around the threads...My second question/concern is that 5th gear seems to make more noise, I do have an steeda triax so it's noisy in the first place, but is that common?

• Sponsors (?)

What about the 5th gear noise? it's not extremely loud but the other gears don't do it...I know the 3650 isn't the quietest...Also, I used castrol ATF, shifts are much smoother, but could that be why it's noisier in 5th?

I'm not much of a transmission guy. I have changed a few clutches, quad's and cables, and some throw out bearings but I have never went inside one. I had a t5 in my 89 gt that was making some noises and I took it to a trans shop where the mechanic replaced all the syncros that I destroyed drag racing. After that it quit making noise. I would take it to someone and get their opinion.

Well, I don't think it's damage after doing a more specific search. Seems like the Tri ax is rather noisy in 5th gear for most people (makes a "whirring" noise or very soft rubbing, kind of like a jet plane off in the distance). As for the leak, I bought what I thought was going to be an alternative for teflon tape...but it broke into pieces when threaded into the tranny. I just went w/ the hi-temp gasket maker, no oil had leaked as of this morning.