Tri-Ax or Hurst Billet, if u had to pick

xtweakerx

Feb 26, 2007
Jupiter,FL
Ok I will eventually be in the market for a new shifter i have no idea when cause of money but lol, I'm curious.

Ok OK, I know a lot of people love the MGW but I don't believe I can afford it. Sucks I know.

But IF U HAD to PICK which would you get:

Mustang GT Tri-Ax Short Throw Shifter Steeda

or

Hurst Billet Short Throw Shifter Mustang GT

The car is daily driven and taken to the track :flag:

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

uh uh oh pick me pick me!! go with the hurst!! i have used both and the hurst is awsome notchy feel with great shorten shifts if feels like you have a cut tranny!! and its gorgeous if you like the classic looks!! of coarse i may be biased :rolleyes:! the only downside is it does make a little rattle but that can be easily fixed plus you can pick them up used every now and then i payed $120 for mine!

I bought the Hurst Comp+ to save some money and ended up replacing it with the MGW two weeks later. You DO get what you pay for with the MGW.

Also, if you're looking at the billet Hurst you're only saving, what? $25?

The billet Hurst doesn't look like that much of an improvement over the standard competition plus to me being as it uses the same mounting scheme and poly bushings. Maybe you should get it instead and save $125 if cost savings are a concern.

Well... I cant really say because I have not used a hurst comp. I test drove a V6 with a hurst comp, and thought it sucked, but that was a long time ago before I really had any idea how a mustang should feel.

It is true that the billet is almost the same price as the MGW. BUT, once you get a white ball on the MGW, the price difference is more significant. The billet does require the MGW e-brake rattle fix to fix a rattle, but then so does the MGW. The difference being, the MGW comes with the dynamat necessary to fix the rattle. I think the Billet is probably signifigantly lighter than the MGW or the Hurst Comp as well.

All I know is, I have a Billet and I love it. No matter what you choose, you'll love driving you car ten times more than with the stock shifter. :nice:

I have the Tri Ax with the optional handle and I really like it..........it is almost impossible to miss third with the shifter installed! I have never driven a Hurst equipped 'Stang, so I have no reference for comparison for ya.

-James

I have the Tri Ax with the optional handle and I really like it..........it is almost impossible to miss third with the shifter installed! I have never driven a Hurst equipped 'Stang, so I have no reference for comparison for ya.

-James

:stupid:

Tried the hurst and it felt too soft and delicate. Like I was going to break it if I drove it hard.

Tri Ax installed with optional arm and hurst black ball. All the style with a ton of function. :nice:
IMG_0127.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 86

-James

That's something to consider...the MGW (and Tri Ax too I believe) has stronger springs so the shifter centers itself and you can find third easy. It almost goes into third by itself, where the Hurst is much harder to get into third due to the weaker spring (at least on the Comp+ model and I think I've read the billet uses the same mechanism).

me either lets call it operator error right bigcat?? lol the only gear i have ever missed is second cause i get lazy sometimes

me too, only gear i have ever missed was second, once at the track. i was faster on the clutch than i was on the shifter. :( usually, it is the other way around.

xtweakerx,
It sounds like you would like to have a MGW but price is a problem. The steeda shifter is around 40 or 50 dollars cheaper (not that I spent much time looking for prices since I already bought a MGW). I would recommend saving some extra money to buy the MGW.

xtweakerx,
It sounds like you would like to have a MGW but price is a problem. The steeda shifter is around 40 or 50 dollars cheaper (not that I spent much time looking for prices since I already bought a MGW). I would recommend saving some extra money to buy the MGW.

To those people who seemed to be REALLY concerned about the price of these things....

If Brand X is $50 more than Brand Y....are you REALLY gonna miss that $50 a year from now? Probably not.

Buy what you WANT...it's not THAT much money. That being said, I still have the stock shifter, and would love to get the Roush short-throw. Thing is, that sucker is $400+ (MSRP) when you add all the parts together (shifter, stick, ball). But it sure felt nice when I "dry shifted" it at the Woodward Dream Cruise (it was parked).

To those people who seemed to be REALLY concerned about the price of these things....

If Brand X is $50 more than Brand Y....are you REALLY gonna miss that $50 a year from now? Probably not.

Buy what you WANT...it's not THAT much money. That being said, I still have the stock shifter, and would love to get the Roush short-throw. Thing is, that sucker is $400+ (MSRP) when you add all the parts together (shifter, stick, ball). But it sure felt nice when I "dry shifted" it at the Woodward Dream Cruise (it was parked).

That's what I was getting at. You just said it better. 50 dollars isn't much extra cash to spend for something you really want.