Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0 Shifter advise

dhood

Feb 2, 2004
Guys I can't make up my mind which should I go with a Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0 shifter? I have a stock 01 GT with the 3650 trans. Just everyday driving never any track time. I was ready to get the pro 5.0 because it was quieter than the Tri-ax but the shifter handle is too short. The tri-ax handle seems better but then I have to deal with the noise. I think the quality is compariable, what do you guys think? Who has the cheepest prices? I want to order one today.
Also, has anyone had any experience with the B&M Pro Ripper? It uses the stock handle.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

dhood said:
Guys I can't make up my mind which should I go with a Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0 shifter? I have a stock 01 GT with the 3650 trans. Just everyday driving never any track time. I was ready to get the pro 5.0 because it was quieter than the Tri-ax but the shifter handle is too short. The tri-ax handle seems better but then I have to deal with the noise. I think the quality is compariable, what do you guys think? Who has the cheepest prices? I want to order one today.
Also, has anyone had any experience with the B&M Pro Ripper? It uses the stock handle.

Dave

Sorry guys I didn't mean to post this twice. :bang:

Both are good improvement over stock for feel and accuracy, but being that it is machined out of billet steel, the Pro-5.0 is a heavier duty piece and feels like it too. (Tri-ax is precise but made from aluminum.)

You can put an assortment of handles (different lengths/shapes/angles) on either of them to suit you.

I got my Pro-5.0 within a month of buying the car... because the stock shifter felt like churning a big spoon thru cookie dough and I couldn't stand it any more.

Do yourself a big favor.

I have a pro 5.0 with steeda handle. I say if you want to spend the extra 30 bux you'll get the best of both words with the steeda handle and pro 5.0 shifter. You'll also greatly reduce your chance of missing a gear even if your transmission notches sometimes. Also, with both shifters you get a solid stop bolt on top and bottom if the shifter that will properly protect your transmission from overextension and damaging the shift fork.

kirkyg

I bought a pro 5.0 from Kona Racing at www.konaracing.com. It came with a steel handle that is the same shape as the triax handle. The shifter with the handle goes for like $179 plus s&h.

Warning! If you do order the shifter from Kona you will not get the "stock" pro 5.0 handle too, only the Kona handle with a pro 5.0 base.

It has survived many speed shifters in the past 2 months w/o any problems. Check out the web site, it has pics of the handle in all 6 positions. I highly recommend the Kona rig :nice:!

Both are nice shifters (hell, GREAT shifters). You would do well with either one. You just don't hear any complaints about noise with the pro 5.0 shifter, and the kona handle will keep you from "punching the dash" on the 2-3 shift.

The B&M Ripper is an excellent product too!

My favorite is the Pro 5.0 with the Pro 5.0 handle... I actually have a Steeda handle, but perfer the shorter one. Then again I'm 6', but have really long arms... sucks trying to find shirts that fit, lol

Ive had the tri-ax in mine for 3 years and now am sposored by Pro 5.0 I can honestly say they both deliver great performance,,,the main difference is construction..Pro 5.0 is built sturdier and to last longer so I would recommend...as far as pricing and great service I think guys around here know where to go.... heeheehee......me!

RonnieDiaz99GT said:
Ive had the tri-ax in mine for 3 years and now am sposored by Pro 5.0 I can honestly say they both deliver great performance,,,the main difference is construction..Pro 5.0 is built sturdier and to last longer so I would recommend...as far as pricing and great service I think guys around here know where to go.... heeheehee......me!
:stupid:
Ronnie's got good prices!