Trick Flow HCI Dyno Results

Ed Calvert

Mar 26, 2004
Ok, Here's the Data:
95GT, 3.55 rear, MAC high flow cats, BBK 1 5/8" shorty headers, UD pulleys, MAC fenderwell intake, MSD 6A ignition module, BBK 65mm throttle body, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Kirban fuel press regulator(set for 46lbs.), 190lph fuel pump timing = 12degrees, and of course Trick Flow HCI kit TFS-K514-350-370.

Dyno results(Dynojet Research):
272.06 RWHP
306.66 Torque
The technician operating the dyno said this translates to about 313HP at the flyweel.
My goal is 300RWHP. Any suggestions besides a blower?
Thanks for any comments or questions. I'm having alot of fun with this Mustang which is the first one I've owned. One thing is for sure...HP = $. Yikes!

• Sponsors (?)

Oh, you're right. I forgot to list the injectors...Ford Racing 24#
Yeah I was told about the long tube headers adding a couple of more ponies but are a pain to install(so I was told).

Oh yeah, as far as the tweeker chip goes, the guy at the performance shop(who sells those things) claims that the 94-95GT's don't respond as well to the upgrade chips as the 96 on up ponies. He didn't seem to think it would be worth the money for any gains(if any at all) I'd get out of a Tweeker. I don't know? Maybe he's wrong?

I don't think it would be dramatic but I bet if you talk to a couple of the Tweecer/Pms guys around here they could help yah out plus you said your goal is 300rwhp thats only 28 more at the wheels I bet you could find that with a tune and l/t's for sure

46 seems high on the F/P...I went from 42 to 38 and picked up 8 right there...Also that timing seems low to for alum heads from what i see around here???
We found 14 to be best and I have ported E7s....How many pulls you do??? usually you do timing pulls to find the best....I did 6 timing pulls then to get that, then 3 more to find dial the fuel in...
I would think you have some more ponies left in there as it sits...your pulling 10 more ponies than my combo...I have LTs though..
Your not far from the magic number...all you need to do is throw more money at it.... :D

Ed Calvert said:
Oh yeah, as far as the tweeker chip goes, the guy at the performance shop(who sells those things) claims that the 94-95GT's don't respond as well to the upgrade chips as the 96 on up ponies. He didn't seem to think it would be worth the money for any gains(if any at all) I'd get out of a Tweeker. I don't know? Maybe he's wrong?

No Maybe to it :D

He IS wrong :notnice:

Find you a tuner who has had made hp with a 94-95 Stang :nice:

Later
Grady

I did 304hp/339tq with that exact combo on my 92 on stock eec with a 76mm c&l mass air. I went 12.8 @ 107 shifting 400rpm too early. You NEED more timing. Try 18*;) Are you running the proper spark plugs? Autolite 3924's. Some guys run stock plugs in alum heads which arent long enough. What was your a/f?

Just to clarify, it's Tweecer not Tweeker(you wouldn't want a meth head plugged into your EEC). A Tweecer and a chip are two very different things. A Tweecer allows you to fine tune the entire EEC by yourself but it has a very steep learning curve. A chip is preset and unchangeable like a Tweecer is. Either a chip or some kind of tuning device would definitely net you more power. How much is dependent on how well your car responds to the tuning. Right now I would say you need more timing, less fuel pressure, ditch the cats. Is this an auto or 5spd? That can make a big difference.

first of all here is a guarenteed way to get that 300. Get long tube headers lose the cats and get a shorty X ,H, or prochamber. Get a dyno tune,or tweecer or PMS. Maybe a MSD billet distributor or even getting rid of that ****ty MAC pipe and get an AFM power pipe. With that as far as i can see all things considered you should have 300+.

Nik_95Cobra said:
245's extreemly stout for a stock 94-95 cobra. As for the trickflow setup I thought it would be closer to 300 rwhp.

My 94 Cobra did 238 prior to any mods. Went to 242 after a superchip, tune and timing advance. Will dyno again soon. Expecting over 250 this time with mods. He could be right on the money. I thought you would see more myself. I thought that combo was good for 325-340 to the flywheel. Would put you closer to your 300 mark. I know WhiteDevil uses the twEECer R/T, and uses an edelbrock, crane combo and he is pulling 298hp. I would agree with everyone here, the twEECer should give you a definate increase, your fp is a little high, and the plugs will chew up some power if they are incorrect for the heads you now have. I think you could get there with less than you think. Ditch those cats, along with what has been suggested here, and you might be closer than you think. It is all in the tuning...............................

S/CBlack95GT said:
Ditch the cats and you would pick up 10-15rwhp.

When MM&FF did a offroad to catted xpipe and hpipe comparo, the catted pipes made more low end torque and the offroad ones made more horsepower, but the difference was minimal. It was around 3 to 5 horsepower. That was on a modded mustang.

First thing to do is post the dyno. Then list the combo you chose for the h/c/i. I assume that kit is the twisted wedge heads, street heat intake, and stage 1 cam.

If you want over 300 to the wheels, first get a accurate dyno with air/fuel ratio. That is the first key. You may be running really rich or really lean which means you are losing power.

Next you need a tune to dial in the spark and get the a/f ratio perfect.

Next ditch the cats & get some LT's.

Next go with a cam with more duration. Taht will make the torque curve start later and end later, increasing your peak HP number (since that is what you are looking for).

But follow those steps in order. Don't swap the cam until you do the rest on the list. You may not need to go that far.
Scott

Grn92LX said:
I did 304hp/339tq with that exact combo on my 92 on stock eec with a 76mm c&l mass air. I went 12.8 @ 107 shifting 400rpm too early. You NEED more timing. Try 18*;) Are you running the proper spark plugs? Autolite 3924's. Some guys run stock plugs in alum heads which arent long enough. What was your a/f?

Mike

The fox pcm is more forgiving about lots of mods than the pcm in our cars so your example is not an apples to apples compairson.

I'm sure if Ed can find someone who has had experience at tuning 94-95 Stangs he will pick up the numbers.

Twelve degrees at the dizzy in not enough for the best results IMHO with that combo.

Ed, can you tell us what your fuel ratio looked like at the various rpms or put up the chart of the best pull?

btw ...... I don't think the shortys or cats are holding you back all that much.

Later
Grady

Grady, I know that the 94/95 eec doesn't "like" big mods as much as a fox eec but I can't see a 25hp/tq difference. There was a guy on here Matt1LEZ28 or something like that and he had a basic off the shelf h/c/i and did like 304rwhp on stock eec. He made about the same power as a fox would with that combo. I think afr 165's, comp 270xe camshaft and a cobra manifold with a Tmoss ported lower.

I think the main problem is not enough timing and the a/f could be off (it wasn't mentioned in the post) I don't think the eec is the problem.

My car liked 18* with that combo. I gained 1.5mph at the track going from 14*-18*.

Grn92LX said:
Grady, I know that the 94/95 eec doesn't "like" big mods as much as a fox eec but I can't see a 25hp/tq difference. There was a guy on here Matt1LEZ28 or something like that and he had a basic off the shelf h/c/i and did like 304rwhp on stock eec. He made about the same power as a fox would with that combo. I think afr 165's, comp 270xe camshaft and a cobra manifold with a Tmoss ported lower.

I think the main problem is not enough timing and the a/f could be off (it wasn't mentioned in the post) I don't think the eec is the problem.

My car liked 18* with that combo. I gained 1.5mph at the track going from 14*-18*.

I'm with you Mike.

I did not mean to imply the only cause for Ed's lower numbers was in the tune alone. I do think that is a big part of it however.

Our pcm's really do leave a lot to be desired when trying to work with a heavily modded combo if they are still using the stock cal file from Ford.

Like you, I do wanna see what his fuel numbers looked like during the pull.

btw Mike ...... I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of numbers your new combo puts out. It outta be really good.

Later
Grady

final5-0 said:
btw Mike ...... I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of numbers your new combo puts out. It outta be really good.

Later
Grady

It better be good for all this damn work i'm doing :D I just came in from pulling my tremec out. I HATE working on my back :fuss: It was actually my first time pulling a tranny and it wasn't too bad actually but it helps that the motors out so I didn't remove the driveshaft. I just pulled the tranny forward til the driveshaft came out and let the trans rest on my drive on ramps, then I slowly slid it off the ramps and my dad helped guide it then I pulled it out from under the car :nice:

Next i'm gonna clean up the underbody and paint it with clear POR15 paint. I already have the engine bay painted now I gotta do the underbody.