Trick Flow Top End Kit Question

caseyjsegraves

Jul 12, 2007
I have finally built my car to safely handle some engine mods. I plan on adding Trick Flow's top end engine kit.

If you read the article that 5.0 Mustang did on this install the dyno numbers showed a loss in the 2,000-3,600rpm range. Since my car is mainly a street car, I would love to add power across the powerband. I planned on running a 70mm FRPP throttle body, 75mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, a JLT cold air intake, 155 fuel pump, and a tune by Lidio Iacobelli at Alternative Auto (the best Mustang tuner in Michigan).

What sized parts should I incorporate to add or keep more low end horsepower and torque with this kit? Am I on the right track with the parts I planned on running or would I be much better off with another companies top end combo such as Holley, Edelbrock, or FRPP?

• Sponsors (?)

it may lose some low end but will gain alot more power on the top that will far outweigh the bottom end loss. a trickflow kit will make good power ( most people are seeing right around 300 rwhp)
and it will be a good street combo.
a set of gears will erase the lowend loss.

but if you want a really good low end and power across the band. try some ported e7s or gt40s with an intake and stock cam. will make great power but the parts alot wont go as far. if you want more, get a KB blower and you will have a torque monster

I have the same top end kit on my motor. Stock bottom with high volume pump and billet timing chain. Get yourself a nice set of long tubes + shorty mid-pipe, and 4.10's. The low rear isn't that bad really...around 2500 rpm's at 65. That is with a world class t5. My car pulls hard down low and even harder up top. It starts to really come alive around 3k. You'll love the trick flow parts.:nice:

If i were you this is what i would do. Talk to Ed curtis, Jay allen, or Buddy Rawls about a custom cam ground for real streetable torque. Grind that cam around AFR 165's and a ported cobra/explorer intake. There are numerous proven 300+ rwhp combos like this that are soo streetable and torquey down low...they rival stock setups. With long tubes and 3.73s you will have an insanely nice/efficient motor that makes great power everywhere.

Nothing flows better in the lowend/midrange than a ported cobra and custom cam. The AFR 165s are still fairly small...so you arent going to loose a ton of port velocity...and the cam will make up for low rpm port velocity by calculated changes to duration, ramp rates, and cam timing events. A ported cobra will eventually run out of breath around 5500-6000 rpm...just have them tailor the cam to those streetfriendy specs.

This method is probably more expensive than the simple bolt on top end kit from trickflow....but it WILL make more low end torque...and for a street car you'll be happier. You will need to get timing chain, lifters, push rods, rockers, and all gaskets seperately...so it may get a little pricey. But you can buy higher quality components that are tailored to your custom top end! This would be an awesome street performer!

Good information guys. I really appreciate it. Did anyone read the article in the new 5.0 Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine? Really good article on a H/C/I install on a Fox body 5.0. They combined Patriot Performance's new heads, a stock Cobra intake, and a Steeda #18 cam. The results were good. The results were actually better than the Trick Flow kit. The tester car in the new article started out much stronger in stock form though and they were tuning the car while running 93 octane. In the first article they blame some guy for accidentally filling the car with 89 octane and only being able to run 10* timing.

After reading this new article, 300HP seems pretty acheivable with any good H/C/I combo as long as you have the supporting parts (CAI, TB, MAF, fuel management, and ignition). Is that decent logic or is Patriot making a killer head for the pushrod engines?

The AFR, Trickflow, Edelbrock, Canfield, heads are better than the Patriot heads...

They cost more though...

You can push that 300rwhp mark without a tune.

There are so many factors to the final rwhp output.

If a car has less accessories, it will dyno more and there are a little dyno tricks one can do, to get 'higher numbers'...