Trick flow top end + supercharger. Good idea?

ShortThrow50

Oct 22, 2006
Pa
I recently installed trick flow top end and sort of unhappy with the low end torque (before 3K rpm). I also installed a new tko 600 trans, so i only have room to grow. I would like to add a supercharger in hopes of gaining tire shredding low end torque. Of course I would have to keep boost minimal on the stock short block. My question is this, is this still pushing the limits of my stock block? It has 65k original miles on it and my car is a 93 lx. If so what blower do you guys recomend. I like the one that is loud at idle. Is that a procharger? Whats the cheapest one I can get? Thanks
Carmen

• Sponsors (?)

Go for it man. That's a good top end kit and with only 65 k on the block youshould be good for around 8-10 psi. Stock block can handle 500 ponies.

A blower like your talking about wont help you much below 3,000 rpm, sounds like you want a kenne bell. But for a centrifical supercharger if your on a serious budget the Novi 1000 is a nice entry unit, better then vortechs sc trim. A S trim is about the next step up from that and can make some good power. As for procharger many of the cheap ones have problems but once you start getting afew steps up they are a very good product. Remember its not just the supercharger kit your going to need, injectors, mass air, chip, tune it gets pricey but believe me when all is said and done its worth it. Iam running a fairly mild h/c/i setup with a S trim, ran out of fuel at about 5200 still pulling real hard and it still needs alittle more timing. At that point it made about 390 rwhp, tuner said with alittle more timing and the car being able to pull to something, 450ish rwhp shouldnt be a problem. Good luck

A blower like your talking about wont help you much below 3,000 rpm, sounds like you want a kenne bell. But for a centrifical supercharger if your on a serious budget the Novi 1000 is a nice entry unit, better then vortechs sc trim. A S trim is about the next step up from that and can make some good power. As for procharger many of the cheap ones have problems but once you start getting afew steps up they are a very good product. Remember its not just the supercharger kit your going to need, injectors, mass air, chip, tune it gets pricey but believe me when all is said and done its worth it. Iam running a fairly mild h/c/i setup with a S trim, ran out of fuel at about 5200 still pulling real hard and it still needs alittle more timing. At that point it made about 390 rwhp, tuner said with alittle more timing and the car being able to pull to something, 450ish rwhp shouldnt be a problem. Good luck

hmmm. I guess Ill just save the money and the hassle for a built stroker then. Im glad i asked the question. Thanks dudes

if u are wanting low end grunt then most superchargers arent gonna do tht for u actually most rob power down low but u get it back and more on top most people just go with a gear like a 3.73 or 4.10 which usually helps about the low torque.

I want to build a 331 short block as well. Using the trick flow top end kit and then of course supporting mods like a bigger throttle body, injectors, etc... What type of hp numbers would I be looking at approximately? I was thinking somwhere between 340-360. Then I was thinking a vortech v-1 or novi 1000 in the future. So looking at approx 400-420 hp? The stock block should handle this right? Forged internals except crank. I know that these projects can kill a budget and I just don't think I can afford a dart anytime soon. What you guys think? I guess I could just stay n/a until I can afford a dart....

I want to build a 331 short block as well. Using the trick flow top end kit and then of course supporting mods like a bigger throttle body, injectors, etc... What type of hp numbers would I be looking at approximately? I was thinking somwhere between 340-360. Then I was thinking a vortech v-1 or novi 1000 in the future. So looking at approx 400-420 hp? The stock block should handle this right? Forged internals except crank. I know that these projects can kill a budget and I just don't think I can afford a dart anytime soon. What you guys think? I guess I could just stay n/a until I can afford a dart....

It will make 450 to the ground with just the trick flow kit and blower. Save your money on the stroker kit unless you're going with an aftermarket block.

x2 on getting the dart. anyone who tells you that you'd be fine with 450-500 HP, you'd be on borrowed time and we'd soon be seeing a thread "well the only thing holding my motor together is the intake" :D

just do it right the first time, IMO