Triing to figure out a motor for my future hotrod....

96Splash

Apr 4, 2005
Greetings, me and my wife have plans on building ourselves a hotrod "oldschool style" meaning building a simple car but staying away from brand new parts where ever it makes since to. which means rebuilding used parts that are available thru the JY or classifieds, but on things like bushings, brake pads and rotors we will go new because of safety. I could outline the stuff we already decided on, but that would probably bore you, besides the chassis and body are totally different from anything seen before.... I can say that this will be an open wheeled and open engine bayed car because that is what I like.....

Where I am having problems is deciding on the powertrain, I have owned 2 2.3 vehicles (my 78 Mustang II, and my current 96 Splash) the Stang had over 275,000 on it when I finally let it go, and my Ranger has 186,000 right now and I have had absolutely no problems with the engine, clutch, or T-5, or 8.8 rearend so I know it's very reliable and reliability is what I want for my hotrod. However I am leaning a little towards a v-6 because I like the look of retro 70's style sidepipes.

If I definately decide on the 2.3 I know I want a carbuerated car because I want a very clean engine bay with a little wiring as possible. I was thinking about starting with a turbo 2.3 engine and running a carb manifold and Ranger headers (yes my truck came with tube headers). The reason I was thinking of a turbo engine is because of the lower C/R I can then more safely run nitrous for a little added boost when I feel I need it....LOL

Any suggestions?? I don't think I want FI or a turbo hanging off of the side......

• Sponsors (?)

No turbo----

Asha'man said:
Carb turbos suck ass. If you're going with a 2.3, either do an EFI turbo or forget the 2.3 entirely and do a V6 or V8.

Brian

I don't want a Turbo hanging out in the open, I want to go with a turbo engine w/o the turbo so that I can run Nitrous.... the lower compression would help with avoiding blowing the thing up...... It may be able to handle a 100 shot.....

You can find 2-barrel carburetor intakes on some early 80's 2.3 engines. I have seen a few of them from time-to-time but never thought to pick one up.

I have thought it would be cool someday to do a 2.3 turbo version of what you are talking about. I think it would be cool to have that turbo showing itself to the world. Definitely would not want it out in the weather though.

Are you going automatic or manual?
The turbo pistons are good ones, these turbo engines ran about 8:1 compression and the slugs are forged. From what I have read on different sites a 100 shot should be no sweat at all for that engine.

Somebody might have a link to the article, but MM&FF ran up to a 150 shot on their bone stock 2.3 to try to blow it up and never did. That was for their project white trash fox body stang.

I think you have an awesome idea there. I would say go with more than a 100 shot though.