Trying To Drive My Mustang. What Should I Have The Machine Shop Do?

I have used the search option and cant find the answer i am looking for. Apologies if this has been asked over and over. Im just teying to get my questions answered without steering of of subject.

So I picked up a set of gt40 heads from a 1996 explorer (3 bar) that will be going on my 88 notch. I will be taking them to a machine shop soon to get them cleaned up and while they are there I want to at least replace the springs. What Springs should I look at ordering? Is there anything besides the spring change that I should have them do? Which gaskets should I buy for the heads? I purchased an explorer upper and lower that was previously on a 87 fox. Should I take the intake manifold to the shop as well and have them do anything to that? Gasket recommendations for the intake manifold?
I will be sticking with the stock cam. Reason for that is because I read over and over that my speed density car doesn't respond well to a cam swap. The car also has shorty headers, xpipe, slp LM1, fenderwell CAI and underdrive pulleys if it helps.
I just want to get what is needed so I can get working on the car and start driving it.
Thanks in advance for all of ypur help. I look forward to the replies.

• Sponsors (?)

I have used the search option and cant find the answer i am looking for. Apologies if this has been asked over and over. Im just teying to get my questions answered without steering of of subject.

So I picked up a set of gt40 heads from a 1996 explorer (3 bar) that will be going on my 88 notch. I will be taking them to a machine shop soon to get them cleaned up and while they are there I want to at least replace the springs. What Springs should I look at ordering? Is there anything besides the spring change that I should have them do? Which gaskets should I buy for the heads? I purchased an explorer upper and lower that was previously on a 87 fox. Should I take the intake manifold to the shop as well and have them do anything to that? Gasket recommendations for the intake manifold?
I will be sticking with the stock cam. Reason for that is because I read over and over that my speed density car doesn't respond well to a cam swap. The car also has shorty headers, xpipe, slp LM1, fenderwell CAI and underdrive pulleys if it helps.
I just want to get what is needed so I can get working on the car and start driving it.
Thanks in advance for all of ypur help. I look forward to the replies.

welcome.

IF you are adamant about staying SD, then you can get a SD specific baby crane cam. I would highly recommend that you convert over to MAF as it provides so much more room to grow. That being said., regarding the heads

You want to change the springs- regardless of the cam. Explorer springs are weak and those are 20 years old. You want to match the springs to the cam you end up going with. I would also have the heads magnagluxed before you invest dollar one in them- no sense doing anything with cracked heads. If they check out, do the springs, also new valve seals and make sure no bent or burnt valves. Have them true up the head surface a bit and hot tank them. If it looks as if you are going to end up spending more than $400 to $500 on the heads, don't do it. Save up and get a set of TFS 170 or AFR 165 heads.

For the intake- get the upper and lower hot tanked. You need to have the ACT in #5 runner tapped. Make sure the intake is not cracked and the bolt holes not stripped. Check the intake for an EGR passage. If you have a 70MM throttle body you will want to open up the intake to match.

For gaskets
Head gasket - Felpro 9333PT1
Intake- get the Felpro set for the explore with the steel reinforcements- I think it is MS93334
Exhaust gasket- you can use Mr/ Gasket copper/ Percy's or just copper RTV

I will be staying SD for while. I have thought about converting to MAF but that isn't 8n the plans as of now.
As far as the springs go, I had one guy tell me I should use cran cams spring and scorpion 1.6 pedestal rockers if im staying stock cam. Here is a pic of the ones he was suggesting.
I believe the runner #5 is already tapped as it was on a 87 foxbody when pulled. I will check though. My intake manifold is the early explorer with EGR. As far as the throttle body goes, the guy that sold me the heads threw in the explorer throttle body.
I will look into ordering the gaskets that you suggested.
Screenshot_20170531-180504.png