Tune Up Question

AxlsDemocracy

Mar 6, 2004
I'm starting a tuneup on a stock 5.0. This engine will always be stock. What is there to gain from using 'high performance' spark plug wires, such as MSD or Taylor? Would OEM wires be suitable for a daily driver?

• Sponsors (?)

The engine, for now, is stock. There are minor minor mods, O/R H-pipe, flowmasters, K&N, Ford Racing C Springs. The engine internals will remain stock, that is, until something blows and needs replaced.

if you are going to be getting new ones anyway, you might as well upgrade....the prices i am guessing are pretty much similar, then IF you do decide to do some upgrading, you wont have to buy wires twice.. :nice:

i went ahead and replaced the cap and rotor with an MSD kit. the car is long due for an tuneup (142,000 miles, maybe one tuneup). here is where my questions arise, should i pay 70 or 80 dollars for MSD wires, 50 for Taylor or 20 or below for OEM? I know in my heart that motorcraft or similar will work, but I just dunno :) To be honest, I really don't have 80 bucks to spend on wires.

Do whatever makes you feel good - that is probably the most important. :)Wires are a big appearance item IMHO. If you want nicer, FRPP wires for 40 bucks are a decent deal IMHO. If you envision burning wires, the lifetime warranty wires should work well.

Good luck.