turbo or keep the vortech?

• Sponsors (?)

Don't waste your money on a turbo at this point. An S-Trim with heads and goodies will produce block splitting power when done right....so unless you plan on upgrading your block alone with the turbo, why bother?

To me the sound of the small block H.O. going through chambered mufflers is one of the main reasons I drive these cars. While turbos are god awsome and the turbo's themselves sound good, it's my personal opinion the exhaust on turbo cars sounds like ass.

With a Vortech you still get to have all the stock exhaust and such so it's a win win situation.

To me the sound of the small block H.O. going through chambered mufflers is one of the main reasons I drive these cars. While turbos are god awsome and the turbo's themselves sound good, it's my personal opinion the exhaust on turbo cars sounds like ass.

With a Vortech you still get to have all the stock exhaust and such so it's a win win situation.

Most likely that's because the exhaust they have on them is junk. That or they have a wategate venting atmostpherically. Just putting a turbo on your car does not make your exaust sound bad. Just going by example, but rio95 has a bassani cat back which sounded great pre turbo and sounds identical post turbo. So I dunno what you are talking about.

Most likely that's because the exhaust they have on them is junk. That or they have a wategate venting atmostpherically. Just putting a turbo on your car does not make your exaust sound bad. Just going by example, but rio95 has a bassani cat back which sounded great pre turbo and sounds identical post turbo. So I dunno what you are talking about.

Bassani is a strait through style muffler (a strait through/chambered hybrid actually). The traditional Flowmaster/Mac/Dynomax turbo that sounds so good on a 5.0L OHV engine isn't so desirable with a turbo set up. Because of their chambered design, backpressure is increased, which tends to leave all kinds of horsepower and drivability on the table. As such, a lot of guys will elect to run a set of strait through mufflers (Borla, Magnaflow, SLP or none at all) which as you know produces a much different sound than a previously mentioned chambered design.

Most turbo cars I've heard running through strait through mufflers, or the turbo's themselves sound like trucks. They lack that traditional growl or "throaty" sound we all fell in love with.

Bassani is a strait through style muffler (a strait through/chambered hybrid actually). The traditional Flowmaster/Mac/Dynomax turbo that sounds so good on a 5.0L OHV engine isn't so desirable with a turbo set up. Because of their chambered design, backpressure is increased, which tends to leave all kinds of horsepower and drivability on the table. As such, a lot of guys will elect to run a set of strait through mufflers (Borla, Magnaflow, SLP or none at all) which as you know produces a much different sound than a previously mentioned chambered design.

Most turbo cars I've heard running through strait through mufflers, or the turbo's themselves sound like trucks. They lack that traditional growl or "throaty" sound we all fell in love with.

First, to quote the_mustang:
"it's my personal opinion the exhaust on turbo cars sounds like ass."
That is a general statement regarding all turbo cars' exhaust, thus negating what you just said.

Second, to quote you:
"Most turbo cars I've heard running through strait through mufflers, or the turbo's themselves sound like trucks. They lack that traditional growl or "throaty" sound we all fell in love with"
I specifically said his car sounded identical before and after the turbo and I think most people would agree bassanis are far from truckish. :rolleyes: Now, if we are talking SLP, yeah just call it a chevy with straight pipes. :D Also, I would not doubt at all that some of these bad turbo sounds you heard are from atmos. venting wastegates.

I think the main idea here is to not confuse the original poster. Exhaust tone with a turbo CAN sound bad. It absolutely does NOT have to. Therefore, if you go turbo, carefully choose the exhaust you run. Simple as that. :)

Not starting a war here. :p

1st.....You left this part of his quote out when you replied to my post....
To me the sound of the small block H.O. going through chambered mufflers is one of the main reasons I drive these cars.
....which is what I was responding to in the first place.

2nd....since he was expressing a personal opinion by saying "turbo cars sound like ass", and in doing so leaning his preference towards the direction of the traditional chambered muffler sound, I fail how to see that it negated anything I just said? :shrug:

3rd..... I’m not arguing your point, I’m only expressing my own. Most turbo cars I've heard do sound like trucks (IMO) and since chambered mufflers inhibit performance, most owners elect to run strait through set ups, or utilize the turbo itself to muffle the exhaust tone. That’s not to say they can’t sound mean, or muscley, but I have yet to hear one that still maintains the "throaty" exhaust burble and part throttle growl we all know and love that only chambered mufflers can provide. If you feel differently, then by all means, post up a video/audio clip to sustain your point. :shrug:

I guess I am sorry you haven't been able to have any experience around turbo cars. :shrug:
So because I have a different point of view than yours about the exhaust tone of the particular turbo powered cars I've been around, I must have no experience at all with them? All it takes to have a relative opinion is a set of working ears on this one.....and mine work just fine! And what I hear with the turbo charged Mustangs I've experienced is distinctively diminished exhaust note, nearly completely void of the traditional exhaust mannerisms. I’m sure the possibility of restoring the established Mustang specific tone exists, but I have yet to hear it. If you have a different opinion, that’s fine too.

Either way, it was kind of dismissive and quite frankly an uncalled for comment....especially from someone who claims to not want to entice conflict. Why are you so adamant about you being right and others being wrong? I’ve already invited you to post some from of media if you want to further illustrate you point, but it seems as though you would rather just ignore and attempt to diminish my opinion in this case based on your own personal beliefs. Is it so difficult to just agree to disagree without you being so curt about alternative points of view? :shrug:

But you just made my point with this post. His exhaust already consisted of a straight through design BEFORE the turbo, so installing a turbo didn't require him to change his exhaust to obtain maximum performance from his setup. So having said that, if I WANT the sound of a flowmaster and WANT a turbo, I'll be sol, unless I want to leave tons of HP and TQ on the table! :shrug:

So because I have a different point of view than yours about the exhaust tone of the particular turbo powered cars I've been around, I must have no experience at all with them? All it takes to have a relative opinion is a set of working ears on this one.....and mine work just fine! And what I hear with the turbo charged Mustangs I've experienced is distinctively diminished exhaust note, nearly completely void of the traditional exhaust mannerisms. I’m sure the possibility of restoring the established Mustang specific tone exists, but I have yet to hear it. If you have a different opinion, that’s fine too.

Either way, it was kind of dismissive and quite frankly an uncalled for comment....especially from someone who claims to not want to entice conflict. Why are you so adamant about you being right and others being wrong? I’ve already invited you to post some from of media if you want to further illustrate you point, but it seems as though you would rather just ignore and attempt to diminish my opinion in this case based on your own personal beliefs. Is it so difficult to just agree to disagree without you being so curt about alternative points of view? :shrug:

Wow. I already made it clear that I did not want this turning into, well, THIS, but alas it did. You are manipulating what I am trying to say. I am simply saying that you have heard turbo mustang exhaust that is far from the "mustang" sound. I agree and have heard those cars too. I am simply saying that I have heard both. And yet this angers you? I am certainly not saying all turbo'd applications sound good by any means, but I have heard ones that still have the "mustang" sound. :shrug:

The "dismissive" and "un-called for" comment you are saying I made was just saying that you must not have heard setups that have held on to the original sound we are talking about. This is 100% agreeing to disagree. :shrug: So don't push me around claiming I want to be right and want to call you wrong. :nonono: As for diminishing your opinion, I am AGREEING that many of them sound bad. You are making this more heated than it needs to be. :shrug: I don't want trouble. :)

But you just made my point with this post. His exhaust already consisted of a straight through design BEFORE the turbo, so installing a turbo didn't require him to change his exhaust to obtain maximum performance from his setup. So having said that, if I WANT the sound of a flowmaster and WANT a turbo, I'll be sol, unless I want to leave tons of HP and TQ on the table! :shrug:

I am sorry for the confusion. My post was based around you saying "the exhaust on turbo cars sounds like a**". That is blately saying turbo setups sound bad period. Therefore, all I was saying was that this is an example of one that didn't change negatively via turbo. :)

Just a thought, if you are thinking of going turbo, want to stick with Flowmasters, and are using a stock block the last thing I would worry about is loosing a little power. You will make plenty without the exhaust change to split the block anyways. :)