Twin Turbo 5.0 for Christmas....Question

dls322

Apr 4, 2005
Mt. Penn, PA
Hey Guys, question for all of you. There is a guy in my town selling the following twin turbo setup. I'm pretty unfamiliar with all the details, can you tell me if you think its a good deal. He's asking 2700 for everything

Complete Twin Turbocharged 5.0 Mustang Drivetrain

Ok, what we got here is a sweet set-up for all you ford horsepower junkies out there. This has been an on-going project for me the last 2 years. I recently completed the addition of 2 T3 turbos. I'm looking to sell the current set-up to build a Big inch motor with a single huffer.

I will start with the motor. The block is a factory 5.0 HO roller block. I put in a new std/std Ford crank, factory rods re-sized with arp bolts, and a set of STD size forged TRW pistons. The Block only had 60K on it when it was rebuilt, so it did not need bored. Just honed new rings and ready to go. The heads are E6 castings (the heart shaped chamber helps with detonation) they were treated to a fresh valve job, GT-40 springs, and some mild port work on the exhaust side.The motor is equipped with a stock roller cam (makes a lot of exhauxst pressure at low RPM's for quick boost) and a set of new Ford roller lifters. It has 10K on it in stock trim and maybe 50 miles on it with the turbo set up. Put it this way... the car has not been tagged since the turbos were added. Has only been driven enough to know it works REALLY good...lol

Ok, now for the good stuff. A fine pair of Garrett 60/63a/r T3's were added. One has been fully rebuilt the other has new seals. The oil is fed through all braided Russell -3 AN line and aircraft grade aluminum connectors. The drain lines are high grade silicone hose (the blue stuff). Factory stainless steel shorty headers flipped and swapped, ported to match head better, 2.5 mandrel pipe out of the headers going to 1/2" thick stainless flanges...they DO NOT leak!! The charge pipes are mostly 2.25 mandrel. They go into a Y right before the intercooler on the drivers side, then through a huge cooler into 2.5 alum pipe up the pass side into the meter. The meter is a custom Pro-m unit sat up for 24's. The intake looks stock but has 300 dollars worth of extrude honing done to it, a truly awesome piece. Great bottom end, and will out flow a cobra intake! Its only 9cfm under a tubular GT-40. 3/8 heat spacer, 70mm BBK T-body, matching 70MM polished EGR spacer, 24#FMS injectors, kirban ajustable regulator, 255 pump

That about covers the induction. Around the engine we have: 9mm FMS wires, blaster TFI coil, plenty of heat wrap on the headers to keep from roasting the plug wires (last set lasted not 15 mins...lol). It also comes with 2 custom made chrome air filters. The one for the pass side goes down into the fender well and the drivers side uses a stock SVO outlet with the air filter connected. There are down pipes for the turbos. The first 2 feet out of the turbos are mandrel pipe and the rest made on a tubing bender. They go down about as far as a long tube header would.

The transmission is a T5 out of an 85 GT I own as well. The car has 58K orig miles and the motor was stock. The Trans was never hurt, shifts great, fluid is clean. The shifter is a brand new B&M ripper, not the cheap one either the one with positive stops. The clutch is called the "Hussler" made by Fort Wayne Clutch INC. It is brand new, as well, and works awesome. It is a dual friction unit with a 2000 lb plate.

With this sweet package deal you will also receive all the mass-air injection wiring and EEC!!! The EEC is a factory re-man A9p. Will come with the O2 extensions I made and all the relays as well. Sensors, underdrive pullies, water pump etc. Only things under the hood you dont get are the rad, cooling fan and alternator. Enough stuff comes with this you could put this drivetrain in anything!

I have drove the car a little. I had an FMU on it at first but couldnt get it to work right. After removing that I jacked the fuel pressure to 45 PSI and set the timing back to 27 degrees total, just to be safe. 24# injectors are a bit too small to run with no FMU and full timing. But, even de-tuned the car still has mad power. In second gear when punched there is a slight delay then the boost comes on and incenerates my 16/9 cobra R's. In third under hard acceleration the car will break traction as well... and it has 3:55 gears!!! And I'm not talking about power shifting and "catching" third. I'm talking about going 70 MPH and starting to feel the tires break loose! The car has not been beat at all. As i said before the timing it set at a very safe spot and it has a factory rev limiter that stops the engine at 5250. The gates stop the turbos at 10-11 lbs and it has never been beyond that.

The car can be driven and the parts pulled out afterwards if the buyer wants. Or it will take approx 3 days for me to remove everything. I work at a garage and have all the right tools. I take pride in my work, and care will be taken when parts are removed.

:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

well if u do get it be sure to build everything strong.. your transmission isnt going to last long and either is your rear end.. seems he isnt running the setup correctly to me with only 24lber? big injecters with a good tune can mean a hell of alot more power... which can also mean spliting the stock block down the middle... if its twin turbo it should put out alot more then 500hp if setup correctly

Thanks, if set up correctly and mildly tuned to you guys think turbo setups like this last long. I mean as reliable as a supercharger. That was my big debate: go supercharged or get a turbo setup like this. She's no my daily driver but i would like her to last.

Nice including the motor too, when i saw tt setup i thought it was just the tt setup. Just get bigger injectors and a tweecer or something and ur set, and of course a trans since im sure u would blow a t-5 and stock rear in half just like joe did. I would definitly jump on it if i were you. Sounds like a nice xmas present to yourself lol

I saw this on EBAY. Seems like a good deal but keep in mind you said daily driver. Unless you know what you're doing this may cost you a lot more than 2700 dollars. Installation, exta parts(injectors, fmu, bolts, gaskets) as well as down time for your car.Sounds like a heck of a lot of wrenching. Remember this isn't a new out of the box, easy to assemble blower/turbo kit.:canada:

It sounds like a decent setup, i wouldn't go and say that it break the tires loose at 70 though without side-stepping the clutch. He would need to be putting out like 600 at the wheels, which this combination isn't even close to that. If it is then i'm in for ride with my car that i'm putting working on a twin turbo setup and looking at about 12-14 pounds of boost.

The combination will last you, and just like a supercharger car if you take care of it, it will last. Turbos are more effecent than superchargers and are easier on engine parts.

They're not "Bad" they just don't belong on a Mustang. Theyr'e swirl port truck heads that Ford tried out to reduce emmissions. Great Torque, crappy HP. For your application with a TT though... it might actually work out pretty well. Let the TTs take care of the HP. The design of the E6 heads might actually allow you to run a hair more boost without detonation problems. They are large chambers, the valves are further away from the piston deck, and the swirl type combustion chambers make for a pretty decent burn (although slower than say, E7s).