valve adjustment

Im putting the motor back together in my 65 stang with a 302.Its got hyd lifters.I know the proper way is to position the valves to where there seated then tighten the rocker untill you cant turn the pushrod anymore then give it a half a turn.I did this in my stang and I tightened a few of them untill the bottomed out.I can still turn the pushrods.Lifters are new. So I think Im gonna put the motor in the car,run it untill it gets warm then adjust the rockers again.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you got the wrong idea, you should not adjust them that tight. There is a technical explanation of how to do this properly but I will give you the way that has worked for me.

Is your intake on or off? if its off, tighten the rocker just until the pushrod wants to break the seal on the lifter. That will get you started- if the intake is on already, tighten the rocker nut just until you loose the up and down play, them maybe a quarter turn more-this will also get your running- however doing it this way means that once you get your motor started you need to adjust the rockers while the motor is running. Do so by letting your motor idle with the valve covers off quickly back off each rocker nut till you hear ticking then tighten just till it stops making noise. Once you are done with both sides, turn the motor off and give each nut another half turn. Then your done.

- By the way this will make a mess and make a lot of smoke- you can avoid that by putting on an old set of valve covers with the tops cut off so you have access to the rocker nuts.

Good luck