Vert guys, top up or down when racing?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd say it should be good subframe connectors, K-brace and strut tower brace.

I don't wanna do a roll bar just for the privelage of driving on the track - this is a street car, not a race car. I carry passengers in the back seat on occassion.

NEEDA5.0 said:
Yep has to be up, NHRA rules. 13.99 and faster has to have a roll bar.

My track doesn't really enforce this, hmm. . . I'd assume NHRA legal means 6-point. Is there such thing as an NHRA legal removable bar? I read through Maximum Motorsport's website and it seems they might have one.

That'd be cool because I too refuse to put a permanent bar of any kind in the car. It looks like a$$ on a convertible in my opinion. But then again, I'm happy with 13.99's too.

From thier website:

Our harness brace bar is available as bolt-in for easy removal (not NHRA legal).

We now have a 4-point roll bar available for convertibles (not NHRA legal).

O'Well!

I have a roll bar in my vert. I think they look good myself, but I put it in for safety and when tied into subframe connectors it made my car much stiffer and soild feeling.
I can still fit two small people (teenage daughter and friend) in my back seat. And, I have raced with both top up and top down. I think top up may be more aerodynamic but top down is more fun.
One day on the freeway, I watched a VW cabriolet (not sure about that spelling) with a roll bar, flip 1/2 a dozen times right infront of me.
I pulled the girl out of the car and she literally did not have a scratch on her.
Without that rollbar and a seat belt, I'm sure she would have been dead. That was enough reason for me right there.

2000xp8 said:
You guys sure the vert rule is not 12.99 not 13.99?

Just looked it up.... 11.00-13.99 convertibles need rollbar.

The day I'm told leave or put a roll bar in my '90 GT Vert that runs 13.70's is the last day it's drag raced - ever. I hate roll bars in convertibles. They look like A$$!!

you can run top down if you have a full cage... 13.99 and quicker needs a cage.. some tracks enforce it, some dont..

the new NHRA rul on verts is down to 12.50 if it's STOCK.. so a 2003 cobra vert than runs in the 13's is fine.. you can change exhaust, headers etc..

I wonder if mine would pass for stock.. heheh... :shrug:

I made a few inquiries with my experts today, and they said the same thing dark night said, if it's a full interior street car you can run 12.50 without a bar. NHRA rules.