VIN Stamping

Gunk

Jun 26, 2005
Hello all...I'm new here so hope this post is in correct place...I have a question for those of you that may know...I am thinking about buying an award winning 66 Mustang for alot of money...The problem I am having is the VIN stamping on the inner left fender...I know Ford had some issues with stamping the VIN numbers occasionally...I've even seen a fender apron stamped twice with the same number...

On this particular car I'm thinking about purchasing, the VIN is very clear, but it appears to have been stamped each number and letter "individually"...On about half if the numbers, you can actually see the "outer outline" of the individual stamp....My question is, do you guys think this could have been done at the factory or maybe at one time the inner fender may have been changed out and hand stamped...

I have a picture of the VIN I can email to someone to look at...I just don't know how to post it on here...Although I'm not an expert, I am a stickler on originality when at all possible...

Thanks for any assistance...

Gunk

• Sponsors (?)

You wont find the 'perimeter outline' of a stamped number on a VIN code. More than likely, the restoration shop stamped the number in the fender apron after replacing the sheetmetal. To make sure it is the original VIN, under each fender lip of both fenders, across from the shock towers, will have the same VIN stamp as the viewable one on the drivers side. Check it out first.