Water in the floorboard. Pic of possible problem:

dec322

Feb 11, 2006
Bham AL
I just gutted the interior of my car with the intentions of 1. Fixing a rust problem, 2. Adding Second Skin Sound Deadening material. After gutting the car I experienced a hard rain and when I got into the car later I noticed a small puddle after driving to the gas station. It didn't smell like antifreeze and it was coming from under the rubber mat on the passenger side of the firewall (interior). I looked under the hood to see if there was something that could cause it and found this:

guttingcar020.jpg

View attachment 450381
View attachment 450383

It is some kind of hole but I don't know what it is. If you can't tell, its on the passenger side, underneath some of the a/c components.

I'm also having a problem with my car's heater is still blowing from the floor...is this related?

Attachments

• guttingcar020.jpg
    guttingcar020.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Sponsors (?)

the thing in your pics is the heater box drain. usually water wont come in the car around that seal. it could be the windshield seal if whoever did the job didnt know what they were doing. it could also be the heater core even though your not smelling antifreeze and the rain could just be coincidence. have you checked your antifreeze level in the rad?

yeah, the antifreeze level stays the same. I had the problem about a week ago and haven't had it since. I even washed the car yesterday and didn't notice any water getting inside. I think my best bet is to check the windshield.

Heater box drain, huh? Well, does it look normal?:shrug:

A lot of times the heater core is goingbad and water is coming in down on the passenger side... right? Id just plug it if you can, cause to fix it can be costly, stupid dash has to come all off :bang: You see the blue/black hoses plug those and you be all set but you wont have a heater hehe

No a/c. It needs to be recharged but I need to go R134a. This is something I'm going to do next summer.

I can't bypass the heater core. I can deal with the summer heat but I refuse to be cold in the winter!! I hate winter!!!

Is there anyway to test a heater core?

dec322 said:
Is there anyway to test a heater core?

not really with it in the car b/c it would be impossible to see it leaking. maybe try having a friend run a hose around the windshield seal while your in the car looking for any water coming in. if it stays dry i would say heater core most definitely. its not that bad to do, i think theres a write up on here about it

NOSNotch said:
not really with it in the car b/c it would be impossible to see it leaking. maybe try having a friend run a hose around the windshield seal while your in the car looking for any water coming in. if it stays dry i would say heater core most definitely. its not that bad to do, i think theres a write up on here about it

I'll check it out tomorrow. If I have to do it I'll do it before I put the sound deadening stuff in. Then I'll be able to put stuff behind the dash.

What if this was just a fluke. Where exactly is the heater core and maybe this will help me narrow the options (outside the option of windshield).

That is the drain for the heater/ac box. That should drip outside the car. Do you have any rust holes under the car you don't know about? Also, are there any rubber grommets or steel grommets that have fallen out?

Dude start the car let it get hot and watch under the passenger side of the car if any water/coolant is leaking, if so then its your heatercore forsure!!
Changing the core is a pain in the arss:bang: :bang: good luck