well, at least i'm getting a new rear bumper :/

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
Norman, Ok
some lady pulled out of a CVS and hit me. totally her fault. my car still drives fine, seems to be purely cosmetic.

DSCF0765.jpg

DSCF0772.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0765.jpg
    DSCF0765.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF0772.jpg
    DSCF0772.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Sponsors (?)

:jaw: i think you might need more than a bumper! i'm kinda hopin i get hit in the front one day, just enough that i get a free new hood and stalker front cover, maybe new paint job too!. that seems like a lot of damage though! i hope i never have to deal with the rear, its all 1 piece!

:jaw: i think you might need more than a bumper! i'm kinda hopin i get hit in the front one day, just enough that i get a free new hood and stalker front cover, maybe new paint job too!. that seems like a lot of damage though! i hope i never have to deal with the rear, its all 1 piece!

haha yeah, i'd say so! the lady said she'd like it if she could just pay me and keep it from insurance, so i'm gonna get a couple of estimates done and decide from there. if she's willing to pay the entire amount of the highest estimate i get, i'll take the cash and do the work myself. i'm hoping i can get the parts cheap, do it myself and pocket some of the cash. we'll see how it goes.

haha yeah, i'd say so! the lady said she'd like it if she could just pay me and keep it from insurance, so i'm gonna get a couple of estimates done and decide from there. if she's willing to pay the entire amount of the highest estimate i get, i'll take the cash and do the work myself. i'm hoping i can get the parts cheap, do it myself and pocket some of the cash. we'll see how it goes.

that rear will not be cheap or easy to fix! i'd be scared the insurance would say my blue book value is 2 or 3k $$$ and maybe get screwed out of it all, and have them tell me its a write off!

that rear will not be cheap or easy to fix! i'd be scared the insurance would say my blue book value is 2 or 3k $$$ and maybe get screwed out of it all, and have them tell me its a write off!

ehh, it wouldn't be TOO bad. just welding in a new quarter and replacing the tail light, hatch and bumper. i've got some rust right at the top of that C pillar anyway, just a reason to get rid of it. the hardest part would be straightening the taillight panel, but it's definitely do-able.

I would be carefull about letting the insurance company know about this. My brother got hit driving my car a couple years ago..it needed a new bumper cover, headlights, some bumber support straightening, and paint. The insurance company wanted to total the car!!! We just fixed it ourselves...there was nothing else we could do.

So right now you need a new quarter panel, new hatch, tail light assembly, tail light support work, that tail pipe looks F'ed up but fixable, and paint. I bet your estimates are going to be pretty pricey. I would definitely try to get this taken care of without the insurance...its a woman..i wouldnt be too scared about her screwing you. Im sure you were smart enough to get ALL of her info.

good luck man...you'll get her back lookin beautiful again!

alright, well i drove it and had a few estimates done this morning. the lowest estimate was a bit over $3k and the highest estimate was $54xx. with the estimates being so high, i decided to call my insurance company. what i'm expecting to happen is my car is going to be declared totalled, i'm gonna buy it back and use the money i get to fix it. A buddy of mine at one of the body shops i took it to said he could easily fix it for less than what he estimated me. so when i get some figures that are set in concrete, i'll either do that or just do it myself.

alright, well i drove it and had a few estimates done this morning. the lowest estimate was a bit over $3k and the highest estimate was $54xx. with the estimates being so high, i decided to call my insurance company. what i'm expecting to happen is my car is going to be declared totalled, i'm gonna buy it back and use the money i get to fix it. A buddy of mine at one of the body shops i took it to said he could easily fix it for less than what he estimated me. so when i get some figures that are set in concrete, i'll either do that or just do it myself.

have you contacted her back with the estimates??? maybe she just REALLY doesn't want to go through insurance (or doesnt have insurance and doesnt want to deal with the consequences of that, cuz i've seen that before!). Anyways, maybe she'll throw $4-5k your way and you won't have a salvage title and you can do the work yourself for a lot less???

yeah i filed a police report when it happened and we traded all info. I did call her with the estimates, but she had already filed a claim with her insurance. I'm going to have a salvaged title now? i didn't even think about that. :notnice: In all reality though, i'm never going to sell this car so it doesn't really matter, but it's still lame.

[quote="stock90GT]hey, send me a pm, my friend has a bunch of the stuff you need to fix the car, the quarter, a taillight, hatch, etc.[/quote]

really? wow, i truely appreciate that man! i'll shoot you a PM. If needed, i can try to gather up some money or something. This is the reason i come back to this site, time and time again! truely great people here! :SNSign:

Another bad thing about a salvage title is if it is ever damaged again or stolen, you may not get the full value of the car again. Once it is deemed "totalled", the subsequent insurance company may not pay the full value, since it was paid out as totaled previously. Also, some states will not let you insure a salvage vehicle for anything but liability! So be sure to check on it.

Good luck on getting it resolved!