What a month

blksn955.o

Founding Member
Mar 15, 2002
st.louis mo 314
I had been looking to promote/advance/transfer to something else/new as I had been at my currant job for 18mo and wanted to move on. I started looking at other jobs within the company on October 1st.

Started the month working for Citigroup in the CitiMortgage division at the headquarters in St. Louis MO. For weeks there had been rumors of a layoff in our building. My group was small with only 3 people and our larger group only had about 20 total including our director. We had more than good reason to think we were safe. NOPE...we got hit hard. My boss and I both got let go our group of 3 cut down to 1. Our director was let go along with the CFO of the company and others. This was on October 6th and my last day was October 10th. I got an interview for another job within the company on Oct. 9th.

The great thing is I was lucky to get a very nice package that would equal more than 4 months of pay. I was very glad to have that to cover bills while I looked for a job. Took the first week as a bit of a vacation as I figured I might as well enjoy something out of all this. I continued to apply for jobs and found about 25 or so that I applied for.

Got a call today from Citi they want me to start Oct. 28th for the job I interviewed for on the 9th. So HUGE load off my mind knowing I have a solid pay check coming in after my package would have run out. Since I am in the beginning of my package I never actually "left" the company and they treat it as a regular job transfer so I get to hang out until Oct. 28th on yet another week of paid vacation. Kicker is its with a 10% base pay increase :D.

Great thing is its a whole other side of the business I will be in. I will be working with the group that is working to help with the mortgage mess by working with homeowners that are in default to try and work out a plan the helps both us loose less and borrowers to keep a home.

Thanks for reading letting me vent a little excitement. I still know several people who got laid off and its sucks. I know several others on this site have also been laid off or looking at it. I hope I can bring a little light...be positive, put your best foot forward, and try your best. Things work out, I got lucky and best of luck to anyone looking at being laid off or who has been laid off.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, what a roller coaster. Mine didn't end so well. I took a cut in pay. I'm just glad the g/f is now out of college and working in the real world, making real money now.

Congrats on the layoff/promotion. :nice:

Glad that worked out well for you. There are many in my area that are being laid off (a big cut in factory jobs). So far so good for me, but Im not holding my breath after hearing about lots of other local businesses.

The banks are all nuts right now. Good to know a fellow stanger still has his job (knock on wood) and then some :D It should be interesting to see what ever happens with Citi's claim against WFC regarding the Wachovia buy. For $60B, it will probably be in litigation for years.

Things are very interesting for sure.

IMO I think the claim is more of a PR game to save face for loosing the deal. I think if anything it will be an out of court non-disclosed settlement. I think Citi will be more focused on making sure whatever it goes after next is in the bag.

I read on CNN that they suspect Suntrust, Regions, or maybe US bank as the top 3 possible targets...I would not mind it since my wife uses Regions and it would give us a local Citi bank branch location. The nearest actual Citi bank is in Chicago. That kind of makes it hard to take full advantage of some of the beni's of working for the worlds largest financial company.

But either way the wachovia deal is seems very shady...walk away then the day after the $700B plan passes you just offer a blow out bid after the fact.

Funny thing 2 weeks after starting with Citi I was offered a job at AG Edwards before they were bought out. I year or two later they were bought by Wachovia and now they are Wells...that would have been a VERY wild ride.

Wow, what a roller coaster. Mine didn't end so well. I took a cut in pay. I'm just glad the g/f is now out of college and working in the real world, making real money now.

Congrats on the layoff/promotion. :nice:

I didn't hear about this, are you still with O'Reilly (spelling)? If so how has the job been so far? I always wondered how you would like it becasue at the time you broke the news of the new job, I thought that would be an ideal job for me, lol.