What brand tools should i buy?

mousetrap82

Jul 11, 2007
California
what's up fellas? I am finally going to start working on my mustang again so i need to buy some new tools. I always used to buy whatever autozone would sell but this time i am looking higher quality tools. I know MAC and Snap-on tools are supposed to be good but are they really worth all that money?

I once busted my knuckles when a cheap rachet i was using broke on me so i wouldn't mind spending the money if it is really worth it. thanks for any input

jj

• Sponsors (?)

truthfully craftsmen mac and all of them come from the same place if you r close to a sears buy craftsmen atleast when sumn breaks ya can walk it right back in there and they hand you new and they r cheaper than mac

pills11.com ;))

Complete bunk.

For the average guy, Craftsman tools are more than adequate. Most of their stuff is still made in the USA and they have a lifetime warranty at any Sears store. You really can't go wrong with them.

That said, tools from SnapOn, Mac, Matco and Cornwell are in a much higher class of quality. They're also in a much higher class of price and unless you're planning on turning wrenches for a living, they're probably not worth the investment.

Kobalt tools are made in China and are very inferior to even Craftsman, in my opinion.

S*K Tools are a nice middle ground between Craftsman and the tool truck stuff, if you can find it. But it is still hard to beat the value of a Craftsman set on sale.

in the shop i work at I use snap on, craftsman and S.K, I never had a problem with any S.K tool i own. The thing with them is some of there sets are just as expensive or more than snap on and mac. Usualy i get whats on sale but no cheap china stuff. For the average DIY'er I would recomend craftsman, if it breaks you can just take it back to sears. And the thing with precision instruments like a torqe wrench or dial caliper-things like that they only have like a 1 year warranty. You would have to ask the tool dealer for details on things like that. I let some guy use my S.K torqe wrench and he broke it, i dont know what he did but now i have to get it fixed and re-calibrated. :( stupid guy.....

In an emergency I purchased a wrench from NAPA a few years back.
That thing has held up very well... (I routinely use a hammer to break loose a couple of bolts, then use a hammer to re-apply 'torque')
Not sure who makes their stuff, but I've had good luck with it.

Other than NAPA, I try to stay with Craftsman.
Except for the tool kit I take to the j/y... that is some pos I picked up at Fred Meyer or Kmart...

jason

I'd agree that Craftsman works for most folks (some of the stuff doesnt fit fasteners quite as tight as I'd like, but I have this issue with other less expensive sets I own as well). I haven't tried Lowes stuff but it sounds like it's worth a shot.

I'm Master certified and always bought my tools from Matco for several reasons. I never had a problem with their tools and the tool guy came every week. Unless you are a professional, do not buy truck tools because you'll pay hell trying to get the stuff warrantied. You are best getting craftsman because its easy to get, cheaper and a good quality tool. The reason most guys buy from a truck is because you dont have to pay for it up front, and they come to you. That is what you are paying for, not just the tool. Stay away from Cornwell because its junk. To be honest, any wrench even Napa, Duralast, Craftsman or a truck tool is going to hold up to just about anything. Dont go cheap on presses, impact tools, or ratchets. And DO NOT buy your tools from Harbor Freight.
As for trucks, Matco has treated me the best, and I've never seen a MAC or Snap On truck be consistent.

bang for the buck is craftsman. snap-on, matco, mac, etc are definately a superior product, but not woth the price to the do-it-yourselfer. i refuse to buy them just due to the price and the inconvenience of tracking the guy down whenever something breaks. i have always had craftsman stuff, even when i worked in a shop for 6 years. if i broke it, i went to sears on lunch and got a new one....done. they have sales often, so watch for them.

on a side note, some people prefer 6 point sockets, others 12 points. if youre messing with stubborn parts on old cars, get the 6 points, they grab the fastener better and are less likely to round off heads.

i did buy a couple of small sets from autozone in their 'great neck' line years ago. they are the most convenient set i have ever had. and i have yet to have broken one of them. the round handled ratchets that say great neck on the head are my favorite ratchets. they have never let loose and busted any knuckles and have never stripped, even the 1/4" set. and they have a very fine turn gear so you can use them in tight places without having to move it back and forth as far to get it to click for the next turn. i have broken countless craftsman ratchets, never one great neck. the quality feels like a snap-on.

Almost all Auto Zone tools are guaranteed forever. If you break it go get a new one for free.

For my ratchets I buy Craftsman Professional stuff. Sockets are mostly Harbor Freight, cuz you can get a whole set for like $10 lol
Stuff I only use a couple times a year I get from Harbor Freight as well.
Even my Electric Impact is from Harbor Freight $35 and its worked for 2 years.

So I usually spend more money on stuff I use often and go cheap on stuff I never use.

I mostly buy Craftsman tools with the exception of precision tools. As noted above they aren't warranted for long and after my $80torque wrench broke it ticked me off. A lot of my Craftsman tools are old (30+ years in some cases) hand-me-downs from my now deceased step-father and they're still going strong.

This may sound crazy but I have had excellent luck with my STANLEY tools......my tool shed was broken into 5 years ago , cleared me out of all my craftsman tools . My homeowners insurance gave me about half of what they were worth , went and replaced them with stanley , No complaints since and 3 mustangs and 5 vehicles , a camper and a boat later......still goin strong...

:nice:

I use all craftsman tools...with that said I will have to say to stay away from a few items in particular, one being the 4 ton floor jack (the black and yellow one) as I had to buy a new one JUST after the warranty ran out. The other that I am very disappointed with is the torque wrench I bought, busted after two engine rebuilds and I didn't even use it as a breaker bar. Craftsman is good for sockets, wrenches, and ratchets, def. not good for the expensive items like I stated above.

Am I the only one that thinks Craftsmen rachets suck? I'm talking about the ones with the big heads where you could see the gears.. Those damn gears always slipped on me. I've had the best luck with Ampro, which is advance's brand, and Stanley. Alos, mac, but 175 for a 3/4 wrench and a set of deep-well metrics is absurd:)

I go more by feel than brand. Its kinda like my golf club set. some clubs have a better feel than others, so i mix and match according to what feels best. For a while Craftsman made a set of wrenches that had a smooth handle, and i prefer those over the ones that have that raised handle (where the size is stamped on).

Most of my ratchets are craftsman and blackhawk (a division of mac or matco i think) Some people prefer thier handles with that knurled finish, i dont, i like the smooth handle or the handle that looks like a connecting rod (square with a cup in the middle if you know what i mean)

For impact sockets - i bought a set of standard and metric from harbor freight. I have had them for over 5 years, and i havent broken one yet. And i beat the hell out of these things.

Regular sockets - Craftsman (gotta love the warranty) and Blackhawk.

Screwdrivers - i have a full set of the yellow ones with square handles from snap on.

Pliers - Cornwell... made strong and have good grip

everyone has thier own prefrence, that just happens to be mine.

After a recent experience with Craftsman, I have renewed my desire for more Snap-On or MAC tools. I had a set of almost new Craftsman 12 point metric sockets and rounded the head off a 12 MMM bolt. I didn't have a 6 point socket, so I sawed the bolt head off. A set of Snap-On or MAC metric sockets are now on my tool wish list. There seems to be a significant difference in the fit between Craftsman and the pro grade Snap-On and MAC sockets and wrenches.

Kobalt is okay if you can't afford anything better. Not the best tools but they'll hold up to infrequent use. Craftsman is a step up (not counting the really cheap line of stuff they sell now). S-K seem to be nice, probably the next thing up from Craftsman. And if you can afford Mac/Matco/Snap-On stuff any of them should serve you well... they're all excellent tools, at that point it's subjective IMO.

FBD, are your Harbor Freight impact sockets the Pittsburg brand? We used those in an autobody class I took and I cracked one right down the side trying to remove a siezed bumper bolt. However, the instructor said they'd been using them for a couple years and had only seen one or two other sockets break like that, so I guess for the price they're alright.