What can I expect from drag radials?

• Sponsors (?)

I have DR's on my 04' and I can't get a decent launch. I was told that the drag radials would help with the wheel hop but I am still bouncing all over the place. Give it too much gas down low and forget it. :notnice: I am considering
going back to the crap F1's, that way I will just smoke them instead of the risk of grenadeing my rear. Sucks. :(

Is this for the track and/or the street?

Nitto's are good for the money. To get them to hook at the track you have to heat the **** out of them first. BFG's are sticky as hell, but you will be lucky to get 5-6000 miles out of them...and that's just using them on the street.

You Must not be heating the up enough, a good 5 or 6 second burnout should do it.If you dont heat them up they'll be worse then your f1s.I'm running a little over 450RWH and 470RWTand at the track they hook up great no wheel hop.

atvcrazy said:
I have nitto nt555 extremes. I cant get my 99 cobra to hook up. How much performance improvement can I expect from changing to the drag radial? Also how are the bf goodrich drag radials?

You can expect a busted ass IRS if you put drag radials on it!

droptopsnake01 said:
You can expect a busted ass IRS if you put drag radials on it!

Just about everyone I know that runs DR's has an IRS. Not a single issue. All experiences are different. You should say something so concrete...

In my 98 I went from a best 13.89 @ 102 to 13.35 @ 105
My 60' was still lame at 2.0 :rolleyes:

The only thing I did in between those runs was lighten the load, move the battery to the trunk, and added a UPR power pipe. Only other mods was gears and exhaust.
I still remember that sensation of traction off the line. It felt weird!! :nice:

Umm..... I've seen 3 IRS blown b/c of drag radials sooo.. thats enough for me. Wheel hop and a strong hook are both as bad. Its not the half-shafts its their links that break well in 2 of the 3 it was. Wheel hop is what gets the half-shafts..

droptopsnake01 said:
Umm..... I've seen 3 IRS blown b/c of drag radials sooo.. thats enough for me. Wheel hop and a strong hook are both as bad. Its not the half-shafts its their links that break well in 2 of the 3 it was. Wheel hop is what gets the half-shafts..
thats correct wheel hop is mostly what will snap half shafts, the key is not to stay in the throttle when you get it.Wheel hop is the stage between tracion and no traction.I've got many 1/4 mile runs and only experience wheel hop at the track once or twice with no issues, you just need to learn how to drive a cobra with IRS :nice: :flag:

I got some brackets that welded onto my cantilever bracket or whatever it is. It made a big difference in reducing wheelhop, got em from steeda for 24.99. I'de really like to get my power to the ground now with som DRs.

atvcrazy said:
I got some brackets that welded onto my cantilever bracket or whatever it is. It made a big difference in reducing wheelhop, got em from steeda for 24.99. I'de really like to get my power to the ground now with som DRs.

I ordered the Steeda IRS bracket today.....good investment!